Gyroo!...an autogyro for under £25?

Richard Harris

On 18/11/2021 at 18:57, Richard Harris said:

Nice job Chris, loops will be a doddle now! no pressure for a video.........

I'd be interested to know where the CG has ended up on your and Steve's over powered Gyroo's?

When you guys get chance could you take a measurement from the front of the mast at the fuselage top forwards?

Hi Richard,

As stated in a previous post I had to fit the heavier motor as my model was Tail Heavy. ( I dont like dead weight )

So my overpowered Gyroo does balance on your recommended CoG point with approx. 15 degrees nose down angle. And flies just fine. ?

Just out of curiosity why is the CoG point not moved further forward to a point where the model is level to make it easier for other to determine if the model is balanced correctly ?

Steve

14 hours ago, Chris Dowell said:

Steve    Like I said "L" is for Landing ...that was an "arrival"?  I was more thinking of having rotors front and back ..similar to a trycipter +wings Ponder ye on that one sport.

Chris...

Sorry, I don't do quadcopter or tricopter. Just not my thing. But a swing wing ?.

Besides I always thought vtol ment Vertical take off or landing. And Gyrocopters known as stol. 

Steve.

A bit off topic but this question is aimed at Rich. Finally got round to attaching my blades for my Panther and i  have made a stupid mistake of making the blades so they turn clockwise. Save making a new set can i cut the blades down from 21/1/2 x 2/3/8 inch to 19/3/4 x 2/3/8 , Would this make a difference  regarding  lift.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, bees said:

A bit off topic but this question is aimed at Rich. Finally got round to attaching my blades for my Panther and i  have made a stupid mistake of making the blades so they turn clockwise. Save making a new set can i cut the blades down from 21/1/2 x 2/3/8 inch to 19/3/4 x 2/3/8 , Would this make a difference  regarding  lift.  Thank you.

Or maybe reverse the motor and side thrust fit a pusher prop and enjoy flying right hand circuits. 

Steve ?

On 25/11/2021 at 16:29, bees said:

Bees,

Keep the blades as they are, you will have to add right roll trim for a  clockwise rotation, alter nothing else.

I wouldn't advise shortening the blades.

Rich

I went to the flying field yesterday hoping to test a new model(Tadpole) but unfortunately the wind was a little high for a test flight. I also wanted to test some new blades on the gyroooooo ? and I new this model would handle the conditions OK. I also found that I will have to reduce the the motor thrust  a little as it was 'ballooning ' under full power.

Steve ..did you find that ?

I thought that I would also share some pics of my recent blade construction. Now it is not my intention to reinvent the wheel. but simply to see if I could make good blades with material that was lying around. (tight fisted old sod)

So I used timber slats from a venetian blind and "dollar tree "5mm foam. The timber slats were cut to the required length sanded and joined with PVA with a couple more layers for the L/E and hub. These slats are approx 2mm thick and adding the foam to the top worked out pretty good. I pretty much balanced the blades at this stage before adding the foam as that would be adding only a little more weight.

I shaped the L/E before adding the foam which was again joined with PVA and pressed flat over night .The foam is a lot easier to shape than balsa with less dust.

I did not add tip weight as I considered they would be heavy enough as is. These blades are 500 X 60 including the try plate with bolt weigh 209 gms.  I would be interest in comparing the weight of these blades with any one that has made similar size in balsa.

The scales in the picture show the weight of a larger set of blades.

You will be happy to know that I even as far as crash testing these blades....just to test them ? with no damage.

All the strength is in the timber with the foam just to give shape and support the covering that is applied at a low heat.

Happy landings

Chris...

DSC02393.JPG

DSC02394.JPG

DSC02397.JPG

DSC02398.JPG

DSC02399.JPG

DSC02400.JPG

DSC02402.JPG

DSC02403.JPG

DSC02404.JPG

DSC02405.JPG

DSC02408.JPG

DSC02409.JPG

DSC02410.JPG

DSC02412.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chris Dowell said:

I did not add tip weight as I considered they would be heavy enough as is. These blades are 500 X 60 including the try plate with bolt weigh 209 gms.  I would be interest in comparing the weight of these blades with any one that has made similar size in balsa.

My Blades as a set including the Delta plates all bolted as one ready for bolting onto the C30 head. = 134g

They are 450mm long x 55mm wide x 6mm thick

Steve

I like the blades Chris, have you tried them yet?

Will let you all know when the plans are earmarked for publication, have had a bit of a delay due to Covid in the family and seasonal viruses.

I did manage to get out last weekend with something I always fancied experimenting with, things didnt go to plan but the results were encouraging. The Gyroo is the perfect machine for trying these things out on.

Rich

Single Blade.jpg