Gyroo!...an autogyro for under £25?

Richard Harris

I am really tempted to give a Gyroo a go as my first autogyro, but the prices on Sarik Hobbies have really shocked me.

Crazy expensive for a model which does not seem to need much wood at all.

As a first time Gyronaut would you recommend the coolwinds parts for the rotor head etc?

I have the RCM&E isssue with the free plans and maybe I'll just source my own materials?

Cheers

KB

19 hours ago, Keith Billinge said:

I am really tempted to give a Gyroo a go as my first autogyro, but the prices on Sarik Hobbies have really shocked me.

As a first time Gyronaut would you recommend the coolwinds parts for the rotor head etc?

I have the RCM&E isssue with the free plans and maybe I'll just source my own materials?

Cheers

KB

I built mine from scratch it is not that difficult, Go for it.

You will enjoy it.

Steve  

On 07/07/2022 at 23:50, Keith Billinge said:

Cheers

KB

Keith,

Cutting your own Gyroo parts is the most cost effective way of construction, the kit suits those who prefer not to go down this route and the price reflects all that goes into producing these for us.

I would recommend using the available Coolwind parts as these have been used on all of the prototypes so are test proven and save a lot of time and effort, I know others will agree with me here that their service and quality are second to none.

Of course, there is absolutely no reason why you could'nt make your own plates and a head unit, though once you add up all the material costs I doubt there is much to save. If you do be sure to post your work on here, Im sure others would like to see.

Rich

2 hours ago, Richard Harris said:

Keith,

Cutting your own Gyroo parts is the most cost effective way of construction, the kit suits those who prefer not to go down this route and the price reflects all that goes into producing these for us.

I would recommend using the available Coolwind parts as these have been used on all of the prototypes so are test proven and save a lot of time and effort, I know others will agree with me here that their service and quality are second to none.

Of course, there is absolutely no reason why you could'nt make your own plates and a head unit, though once you add up all the material costs I doubt there is much to save. If you do be sure to post your work on here, Im sure others would like to see.

Rich

Thanks Richard; I think I'll have a go (once my build bench is clear of the current projects) at cutting my own parts then the coolwind head assembly will be my only real expense in the model. I have most of the other stuff needed in my stocks.

cheers

Keith B

• 2 weeks later...

I took a couple of photos of others Gyroo's a few weeks a go, these guys have added little mods as you can see like the extra wires on the UC etc, all fly extremely well.

The Gyroo with the modified tail has 900w of power and climbs vertical, it does a great rolling climb! to deal with the extra power the head, boom and mast are aluminium. This version also features an elevator which is coupled to the pitch of the rotor, it does the tightest of loops very much like a fun fly type model.

Anyone else up and going with theirs?

IMG_9466 (2).JPG

IMG_9486 (2).JPG

IMG_9487 (2).JPG

Edited by Richard Harris
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard and all other autogyro modelers:

Greeting from the Far East!

I am extremely keen and already started to build Gyroo. Although I have been building and  flying fixed wing model planes only for many years, I have completely no experience in Autogyro especially the set up and flying, Your patience, advice,  and guidance during my build, set up and flying will be deeply appreciated.

I have ordered all the necessary parts from Coolwind. I also started cutting all the parts from the plan by hand. The price for the short kit and the cost of shipping to my country was way to high for me to accept! 

Please comment or give advice as I build the Gyroo.

Thank you all in advance.

17 hours ago, Edward Po said:

Hi Richard and all other autogyro modelers:

Greeting from the Far East!

I am extremely keen and already started to build Gyroo. Although I have been building and  flying fixed wing model planes only for many years, I have completely no experience in Autogyro especially the set up and flying, Your patience, advice,  and guidance during my build, set up and flying will be deeply appreciated.

I have ordered all the necessary parts from Coolwind. I also started cutting all the parts from the plan by hand. The price for the short kit and the cost of shipping to my country was way to high for me to accept! 

Please comment or give advice as I build the Gyroo.

Thank you all in advance.

Edward,

We look forward to seeing you progress with your Gyroo, fire away with any questions you may have .

Rich

3 hours ago, Edward Po said:

Hi Richard:

More beginner questions:

1) Anti strike plate is the piece with bigger holes for the blade? (Right side of Photo)

2) Do I need to glue the Delta plate and Anti Strike plate together during assembly?

IMG20220808121823.jpg

No , Do not glue them together the plate with the large holes goes on the bottom. Blades bolt to the top plate and they are both bolted together between the hub 

Steve

• Thanks 1

Today, I went to all my local hobby and craft shops in my Country. (Singapore is a very small city state) to source Spruce strips for my build. Unfortunately, my search was unsuccessful. I only manage to purchase limited size and quantity of pine strips. I am now force to use 1/4" x 3/8" for rotor leading edge. Laminate 2 pieces of 1/8" thick x 1/2" wide strip to produce one piece 1/4" x 1/2" strip for the boom. Finally, due to diligence search, I managed to find one piece 1/4" x 1/2" strip for the mast! 

My question is, can I use Pine strip instead of Spruce? Is there any other materials that I can use instead of these two materials.\?

On 10/08/2022 at 15:25, Edward Po said:

My question is, can I use Pine strip instead of Spruce? Is there any other materials that I can use instead of these two materials.\?

Edward,

Sorry for the delay in replying, yes, pine can be used. Try to use straight grained pieces and avoid knots.

Rich

Edited by Richard Harris
  • Like 1

On 16/08/2022 at 11:55, ALAN GREEN said:

Hi, I have almost completed the build of the Gyroo, all gone well up until a minor hold up. Where do the two balsa parts marked on the drawing as B1 fit.

I can't fathom it out !

hope you can help,

Alan

Alan,

As Ace has said, they are to go each side of the spruce boom. They are really only there to thicken up the the boom so that it matches the fuselage and tail support thickness, also heat shrink covering sticks to balsa better which is a bonus.

Rich

Here are a couple of Gyroo photos Ive been sent from builders, the green one had its maiden last week and went well. The 90% finished version should be taking to the air in the US in the next few weeks.

The green one uses Steve Jones neat idea and has the horizontal fuz/battery plate made as one sliding in from the front.

Good work Alan and Gene

Rich

Screenshot_20220820-140900_Gallery.jpg

received_568612421654658.jpeg

• Like 1

Almost everything ready to cover minus the blades. This is the first time I've actually built something completely from scratch and I'm very grateful for the simplicity of your design. Really satisfying build - if this works out nicely I'll move onto the Panther over winter. 

PXL_20220828_091842592.MP.jpg

Edited by Thomas W Shelley
  • Like 1