Will it fly -- 28" F16 with Wemotec mini fan?

Allan Bennett

I have two depron pusher-prop jets, F14 and F15, each about 28" wingspan and weighing 1lb 7oz and 1lb 11oz respectively.  They fly nicely on 3S LiPo and just less than 150 watts.

I hope to scratch-build a depron F16 about the same size, but using a Wemotec mini fan.  At that size the fan unit fits nicely within a scale fuselage, but I'm concerned that the extra weight of the fan and motor and the ducting to get a good air flow to the fan, compared with my other two models is going to make the model unflyable.  With 3S LiPo I expect to get about 400 watts from the fan, based on my experience with the same fans in a Learjet.

I'm thinking that maybe I need to scale up my model slightly, in order to get a greater wing area but, of course, that will mean extra weight of depron.  Does anyone out there have experience that may be relevent to my situation, please?  Maybe a similar model powered by this power unit, which would give me an idea of what size/weight it can cope with.

The Phase 3 EF16 was/is a good flyer. All foam but with skinned flying surface's. [ wish it was still made as mine is now rather tat but still going ] About a one and a half pounds [ was lighter bet a "nasty" Habu chopped it into several bits some years ago ] with the 3s 2200 lipo, 25 inch span. Motor / 3 blade fan is what came with the model and draws about 220 watt at full power.

Have to say one of the nicest flying models I have had, on rails flat out and very nice manners when slow.

PICT0001.JPG

SAM_0479.JPG

Edited by J D 8
extra info

Lovely!  Thanks JD8, that would seem to confirm I'm in the right ball-park.  Just got to be very careful about building in lightless.

I was initially wary about modelling modern jets, but my experience with my F14 and F15 are that they're much easier to fly than they look -- once you get them launched ?

Hi Andy, I have an F15 prop jet that fly's well just as long as it is flat out, the flat plate wing is not so good at lower speeds. Its a bit to fast for me to keep up with and about half the flights have ended with me killing the power and pulling full up to slow it and let it find its own way down. So far it has led a charmed life and not had any serious damage. 

Early jet types and those designed in more recent times tend to have more wing area than those of the 50's /60's.    F104 comes to mind as an example.  Cheers. John.

F15 field dart.

SAM_1781.JPG