Radiomaster TX16S updating to Edge TX

Brian Dorricott 1

I have seen several videos on how to upgrade the Radiomaster TX16S to Edge TX but the links to a program " Edge TX Flasher" have gone from Edge's website . If you follow the guide on the website and do it there way the TX16s will not go into boot loader mode only got it back by copying a working sd card . Only wanted the touch screen functionality but it's not to be . Anyone had a go at doing this ?

I was curious to see EdgeTx, and I also wanted to sort out how to compile it, so I downloaded the source from Github and, after quite a bit of juggling, managed to build a .bin file. To test this, I just backed up all my settings from my TX16S (I use erskyTx, but I have currently left the openTx 2.3.9 bootloader on it), then I used eepskye (the PC program, like companion, for erskyTx) to flash the .bin file. This just worked, and EdgeTx then ran.

It is possible that companion will also flash EdgeTx.

The most recent version of eepskye is here: https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676

First download eepskye5.zip, dated 12-Dec-2020 19:53, install by extracting all files, keeping the directory structure, to a suitable directory.

Then download erskyTxR223B5.zip, extract the eepskye.exe file and copy it to the directory you used above.

Mike

34 minutes ago, Outrunner said:

Ken, my understanding Edge TX is Open TX going touch screen, it's a branch off OTX with a nice new name.....

Yes and no. It is a fork, but it is a completely different set of developers driving it who are focussing on developing new funtionality, much of it for multirotor users. At thsi time there is nothing more than a vague affirmation from the OTX team that some of the functionality from EdegeTX will make its way back into OTX at some point. Personally I similar to Betaflight/Cleanflight - Betaflight was developed to be the option for more "bleeding edge" pilots with all the latest and greatest functionality ut les of the polish, but actually everyone moved over and Cleanflight develpment stopped.

Short answer to Ken's question...  If you want touchscreen functionality any time soon, you will need to go to Edge TX, but going back to OTX should be relatively simple to do if for any reason you don't like it (unlikely as at this point the underlying functionality is nearly identical, it's only future releases where it may start to diverge).

• Like 1

Update on above you tube video - it worked fine installing EdgeTX but it was very flaky with both DSMX , Frsky and RM 168/86 receivers rf wise . Would bind but not very easily and then when you repowered the rx it lost bind despite updating 4in1 module firmware to latest . After an afternoon chasing my own tail I decided to put it back to Open TX and it worked with with all the above receivers absolutely perfectly. I'm aware the models files are not compatible between the 2 systems but I was building these from new and just could not get reliable comms . Must have missed something somewhere along the line but now know how to do it might have another try at a later date . What I saw of Edge TX was quite impressive,  I liked the look and feel of it but am concerned about RF functionality certainly wouldn't trust my models with it yet.

Another update if anyone interested .

I put a fresh sd card in and started the Edge TX procedure again ( carefully) went without any problems this time done in 10 minutes . I didn't import any models this time and tried 3 different receivers spectrum/radiomaster/frsky and all worked perfectly on every channel in the correct order ie throttle on channel 1 . The exception was a Orange park flyer DSMX rx can't remember number which had the channels swapped about but I can live with that just interested why .

First and second impressions of Edge TX rather good find it easier than Opentx to navigate and display , I think when they get all the bugs out I'll be keeping it , may even try flying with it on my expendable Bixler ( glued and taped up test plane) and see what happens . I wonder if Opentx will ever get the touch screen going as promised but I'm liking the Edge TX up to now .

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Are you actuallu using EdgeTX to fly with? Quite fancy uodating to be able to use touchscreen but....

a) don't want to be right on the bleeding edge of technology

b) preferably need compatible Companion software

GG

In that case I would wait. From the FAQ...

Will I still be able to use OpenTX Companion to manage my models with EdgeTX?

Yes, in the future you will still be able to manage your models with OpenTX Companion. The new EdgeTX flasher will only be for downloading the firmware and flashing your radio.

Please note- OpenTX Companion is currently NOT compatible with EdgeTX - we are working on that. However, you can import and convert your existing models to use with EdgeTX. See the installation guide for more information.

19 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Hi Matty

Just downloaded the EdgeTX version of Companion from Github, and imported some models.... seems relatively stable....

You flying with EdgeTX?

No, I haven't bothered as my fixed wing TX is an X9D and the multirotor TX is the non-touch enabled, cut down TX16SE (without the 4in1 module). If I had a TX with touch I would upgrade at this point though; from what I've read it seems very stable (not surprising as they've done very little to the firmware beyond enabling touch).

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Might give it a go next time there is few days of pooh weather........ will put a few models back on the X9D first so I can fly if necessary.

Quite enjoying the tinkering, especially now I have discovered GVAR and conditional switches (with help)... not as much as flying but it's another area to enjoy.

Edge companion working well and now got everything saved on PC just in case . Someone asked above was I flying with Edge TX answer yes 3 models Bixler , Ranger and Phoenix 2.4 M gliders . No range problems no unexpected glitches using a combo of S6R and RM168 receivers ( only use the stabilisation for launching just to keep the wings level ) , yet to come across any problems at all . Just love the Amber sound pack there are some lovely phrases in there ( snafu ) and one something like "that went well" never had other flyers before asking for the volume to be turned up before .

Good to know, cheers Brian.

Yes, Amber calls all my system messages - although my wife's voice is the start up message, model names, and model setting alerts (e.g. "gear down")...... cue much derision from other club members who go flying to escape the 'nagging wife'.......  

Edited by GrumpyGnome
typo

• 6 months later...

@ken anderson.

It makes the word of difference, and really there is not much to doing it.
You may have seen elsewhere on the forum that I have converted one of my TX12S to EdgeTX with touchscreen.

Had that combe been available a year or so ago, I would have thought twice about buying my X20.

Do make sure your TX16S has a touch screen as not all were made equal.

Edited by Kevin Fairgrieve
Poor spelling.
  • Like 1