Align 700 or 550 size?

Ian Whittaker

I’m considering making the step from an Align Trex 550X to one of their 700 (800?) models. I’m in no way unhappy with the 550, it’s far better than I am in every way so I appreciate it’s a bit pointless but see it as an upgrade. Is the bigger size a bonus at all in the air? There’s a few downsides (initial cost, more batteries required, won’t sit neatly in the boot of my car without the seats down to name but a few) but am I right in thinking a 700/800 sized machine flys better than a 550, in the same way I never got on with the smaller one (300 sized ish I think from memory) I bought 2nd hand but love my 550X? My helicopter is at the stage of needing a few repairs and I’m wondering I could use this as an push to ‘trade up’! 

88C549FC-F8A6-454C-92F8-C4A6462E2EE7.jpeg

Ian, I have been flying helicopters for too many years to remember and have flown all sizes from the Blade micro's up to a Trex 800, but I still prefer the 550 (old 30 class) size, as they are more convenient to carry around etc and have much lower 'running' costs, but unless you are performing extreme 3D manouvers do not loose any flying ability over their bigger brothers. 

Obviously there are many makes and styles of 550/600 helicopters around, so your flying preference will  be well catered for.  As for 'selling up', you will most probably find that you return on investment will be extremely poor.  Currently the Trex 500x combo kit with digital servo's, a decent motor and esc, and its flybarless controller (less batteries) is on sale at £855.00, but I doubt a newly built unflown for sale on the BMFA or E bay would fetch more than £500.00, so second hand used one would be nearer the £250.00 mark.

As with everything you pay your money and make your choice, but I would suggest you find someone who is willing to let you fly their 700+ sized helicopter before you finally commit, as I am sure we have always longed for something bigger or better then regretted buying it later.

Barry

• 2 months later...

I have just seen this thread and you may well have reached a conclusion by now but here is my two penn'orth.

I haven't flown a 550 but I have a 450, a 600 and a 700, all Align. I am not an aerobatic flyer and only fly upright manoeuvres, usually slowly. (I am currently practicing the B test moves but I doubt whether I will take it.)

The 700 is much more stable and easy to control. It handles wind better because it has a higher power to weight ratio. It has greater visibility in the air. I much prefer flying it.

I recommend not as the ideal machine for a plodder like me but also if you do 3D aerobatics etc. If you have seen Duncan Osborn fly his you will know what I mean. It could be argued that there are now (slightly) better 3D machines available now but they are very expensive. If you ask me to choose between a 550 and a 700, for me the 700 wins hands down.

• 2 months later...
On 02/11/2021 at 14:18, Mike Sanders said:

I have just seen this thread and you may well have reached a conclusion by now but here is my two penn'orth.

I haven't flown a 550 but I have a 450, a 600 and a 700, all Align. I am not an aerobatic flyer and only fly upright manoeuvres, usually slowly. (I am currently practicing the B test moves but I doubt whether I will take it.)

The 700 is much more stable and easy to control. It handles wind better because it has a higher power to weight ratio. It has greater visibility in the air. I much prefer flying it.

I recommend not as the ideal machine for a plodder like me but also if you do 3D aerobatics etc. If you have seen Duncan Osborn fly his you will know what I mean. It could be argued that there are now (slightly) better 3D machines available now but they are very expensive. If you ask me to choose between a 550 and a 700, for me the 700 wins hands down.

As a follow up, I bought a 700 which I’ve just finished building and now had a few flights with. My thoughts so far…

It feels and looks better in the air. The extra weight seems to let it sit better and give it more presence, especially during reasonably quick circuits. I wouldn’t describe it as more stable as I’ve never had a snag with the 550, (even when flying in winds where the Microbeast struggled to initialise) but it flys well, seeming steady and stable in both a normal and inverted hover. I’m still at the stage where I’m setting up pitch and throttle curves but I’m happy enough with it, it’s great. I wouldn’t say it’s better yet than the 550 as I’m much more familiar and happy with the 550 and happy to throw it round much more, but I’m getting there!

The battery endurance (aka flight time) seems slightly better than the 550 too. I’m looking at 4.20 flights for 35% left in the 550, the 700 gives me 5.30 with about 40% battery left (4000 mAh pack). Obviously I’m monitoring this and expect the 700 to start using a bit more power as I get more familiar with it. 

There is of course always the advantage with the 700 that it produces two hand warming devices (aka batteries!) per flight, which is a definite bonus when on a hillside and the puddles are frozen solid!