Switching to electric gliders from fixed wing large scale electrics

Fitting the spinner turned out to be a straightforward affair. However, the 10x8 10x6 blades have an 8mm root while the original blades with the spinner have a 6mm root, therefore the spare blades won't fit the spinner slots. Really annoying as there are all JP kit !! Will have look for some other root sizes now.

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

Time to bite the bullet and pull out the rudder push/pull rods and replace with wire. First job before that was to thread the elevator servo wire through the fuselage. Given the "corner" to be negotiated I used some thin string with the trusty bolt tied to the end and let gravity do the job. Next I threaded the rudder wires through the tubes using some very thin carbon fibre rod. Attached the couplers to the rudder servo horn. The rudder end to be done later. Much happier with the result.

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

Have test fitted the rudder it was plain to see that it is too long and would foul the ground on landing even allowing for the tail wheel. Looking at the manual the rudder base should follow the slant of the rear fuselage. I decided to trim the rudder and re-cover. Hopefully the slightly smaller rudder area won't the affect performance.  I did check that the top of the rudder was at the optimum height of course!!

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I now have a bit of a problem to solve. The manual sheet points out where the CoG should be (65mm) while the ailerons are 20 mm +/-, elevator 25mm +/- but unhelpfully there is no suggestion for the rudder throw. Additionally, I have no idea what I should dial in how much down flap to use. I will just use the flaps for lift so no up flap being considered unless any suggestions are forthcoming.

Ah! Didn't think of that GG. I had a mental block which made me think just about keeping the glider up. I can see now in some conditions the reverse is true. I am sure I can set that up - I know my Futaba TX will do all of that, but I just need to find out how. Being a fixed wing aerobat Herbert such things are not usually required! Steep learning curve coming up.

12 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I set all my rudders to as much as I can get, then tone down if necessary.

Not sure if you plan on any jiggery-pokery with the wing surfaces (like coupled flaps and ailerons), but the ability to use the flaps to 'dump' lift by moving up can be useful in getting efficient planes down.

IMO it's better to use up aileron combined with down flap - i.e. "crow brake". 

50 minutes ago, Adrian Smith 1 said:

I now have a bit of a problem to solve. The manual sheet points out where the CoG should be (65mm) while the ailerons are 20 mm +/-, elevator 25mm +/- but unhelpfully there is no suggestion for the rudder throw. Additionally, I have no idea what I should dial in how much down flap to use. I will just use the flaps for lift so no up flap being considered unless any suggestions are forthcoming.

Can be useful if you are using flight phases to mix flap to aileron for full span ailerons, I have this on my Multiplex Heron, but set up as per the manual the flap only moves up with the upgoing aileron and not down, i.e. roll right both right aileron and flap move up, left aileron moves down but left flap doesn't move. Also a bit surprised the manual has equal up and down aileron, on gliders it's quite common to dial in some differential to counteract adverse yaw, again flight phases are quite useful here so you can have different aileron differential for different flight modes, e.g. acro has reduced aileron differential (and flap mixing), but thermal mode would have more.

+1 for butterfly/crow braking, best on a proportional control, I always have it on the "throttle" stick so it's easily modulated but a lot of dyed in the wool power fliers find this hard to accommodate so put it on another control

Edited by Frank Skilbeck

Start with 2:1 aileron diff at minimum; flaps need to be able to go up a few mm for reflex (speed) flight mode and as far down as you can get (at least 45 degrees, ideally 60-70) for crow. This will normally require a horn position offset significantly towards one end of the throw (I.e not perpendicular to the wrong skin). Rudder throw is not too critical, but aim for at least 30 degrees for first flights, ideally 45 degrees.

Edited by MattyB