Scary great spark

Evening, gents. Had a problem on Thursday with a 6S pack, connection was erratic (two other packs worked perfectly) and it seems that the spark when connecting high voltage lipos has eroded the plugs. I'm aware that this is a known phenomenon and I remember reading the solution, involving a capacitor, I think. Can anyone supply details of the fix, please.

David

A simple solution would be to utilise Jeti spark suppressing connectors. These use small resistors between the initial connecting ring and the main body of the connector which limit the current charging the input capacitors during the instant of connection. 

https://www.jetiuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=472

Other sizes are available…

It's not a capacitor you need to add, but a resistor, you connect this up first to slow the inrush current into the ESC capacitors (which is what causes the spark), here's an article on making your own.

I use the Jeti antispark connectors on my 6s+ systems and they have been great over the last 5+ years I have been using them. Not tried the XT-90 version but it will be similar to the Jeti system.