Model Technics fuel colour

Ron Gray

Is it me or has the colour changed????

I've just taken delivery of a new batch of Laser Pro and Laser 5, direct from MT and it's Blue, the last batch I bought (last year) was pink. Anyone know why they have changed, does it really matter, will it smell the same????? Still slightly annoying that they still do not label the Laser Pro as Laser Pro, it just has 5% on the label.

17 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I hope not. I’m a dyed in the wool oily but I detest the Laser fuel’s smell. 

The SICAL additive does smell funny but i wouldnt call it awful. Pro power, tech power and a bunch of the others have it too. 

I might have to dig through the new batch and see if i have any of the new flavour. 

6 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Odd thing, sense of smell. I was floored last night talking to a long term modeller who told me that model diesel fuel makes him retch!

Something wrong with him.... I had a diesel model at my old club some years ago and when i fired it up half the blokes on the patch pulled up a chair and sat behind it while i did my power checks. 

On another tangent, i sold a laser 100 diesel to a chap in the USA and after some time he emailed about spares or something and i asked how the diesel was flying. He responded saying its running well but has never flown and it never will. Apparently he and some of his flying mates used to work on big diesel loco's on the railwayroad out there and what they do it fire the engine up to a mid throttle setting and just watch it run while they eat the lunch and shoot the breeze about the old days. They love the smell, the noise, and even run it with no rocker cover as like like watching the valves move. While its a bit of a shame it wont fly, if they are enjoying themselves who am i to argue? At least its not sitting unrun in a glass case! ? 

In any case, the MT sical smells really sweet to my beak. Especially when its in its raw form in a pot, it smells like cough syrup. When it burns i get the same sweet smell from it. As a side note, Ether smells sweet to me as well. 

But as already mentioned, it is subjective as some people like the smell of petrol but it makes me sick. AVGAS on the other hand smells very nice.