Dancing Wings Eagle V2

Philip Charlesworth

I got one of these kits - the 1430mm version - a few months back.  It's cheap as chips and looks fantastic in the air.  The silhouette probably sends small mammals scurrying for cover, and mine has been checked out by the occasional bird.

Sadly, it's had a couple of crashes and the cause has been inherent to the kit.  If you're getting one then I have a couple of tips which should help to get more flying time out of this otherwise awesome kit.

First Tip:  The tailplane is not stiff enough to take the forces of anything other than gentle flight.  It flexes during turns and can bend to the point where it becomes ineffective, which was the cause of crash 1.  The CF strip is not enough to prevent it from flexing.  The solution is to run a strip of 1mm thick balsa along the leading edge of the tail from root to tip.  This stiffens it significantly without adding significant weight.  I soaked the balsa and pre-curved it which made it easier to fit.

Second Tip: The hinges start to tear after a few flights, which was the cause of crash 2.  When building it reinforce the hinges with either UHU POR or tape.  After the latest crash I'm doing both.

Apart from these two issues it is a good kit and a real head-turner at the field.

• Like 1