Rhapsody

EarlyBird

Seated the wings and fitted the wing bolts which involved a lot of test fitting and adjustment. Not quite there but there is always tomorrow. I get to a point where I either stop or I start bodging.  Which will do today but in the morning it will look a mess so I have learned when to give up for the day. 

Lots of sanding and shaping to come but the battery hatch and cowl first.

Steve

More adjusting to fit this morning and now happy with it. I was having difficulty working out what to trim to get the wing tip to rear fuselage centre the same, got there in the end.

IMG_20220201_112443.thumb.jpg.7975116af86cc492e0514ad9c6d42dc9.jpg

Next work out how to make the parts that cover the bolt plate and the leading edge bit. They must have a name I was thinking filet ?

On a different model ( Swamp Rat) I found it was much easier to cover the wing without the LE fairing.   Fairing was glued on after wing was covered ( left bare under the fairing )  Reason is the film gets distorted when put over the fairing and it's difficult to lay it flat further out on the wing.    After completing the model I thought that the LE fairing would have been better if attached to the fuselage rather than the wing as it would also be able to hold the wing  in place in addition to the dowel.  -Belt and braces!.

Just thought I would mention this before you glue it on........

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
19 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

Glad to see that you have got going again

Thanks Peter, I have not given up, but everything was on hold. Ohmen II, Peggy Sue 2, Destiny and a couple more are patiently waiting for their turn. I was tempted to start Ohmen II (II because it will be my second hopefully with less self-inflicted errors) as the building board is empty but like you, I have to finish what I started, or it will never get finished. Although I have re-started the pace will be slow, one piece a day and there are lots of little steps remaining. 

Steve

• 9 months later...

Rhapsody Is not the same as Peggy Sue,  It is a dream to fly. and different and in my eyes is far more beautiful but still highly aerobatic and possibly a little more graceful.

Mine is still in my workshop and the wing has a big label on it which reads 

THIS WING TO BE GLUED, SCREWED OR NAILED TO MY COFFIN LID

12 hours ago, Gary Clark 1 said:

Hi Earlybird,

Has the build progressed any? I'm going to build my larger Rhapsody after the spitfire build is done 

Would love to see how it flies a bit bigger

Gary

Unfortunately not. 😞 but it's on the list to finish near the back of this pile.

IMG_20230707_171114.thumb.jpg.30e136dece358716885b47d92fe685ea.jpg

What size are you going to build?

Steve

I had the plan out for a look last night and going up 35% brings it out at 74" span. 

Not sure what engine I'd go for yet.

I did have the original plan out too and compared them both. The original is still a good size so could still just go with that. I do really like the look of it and love the fact there is only about 3 straight lines on the entire plan. Very pretty plane

Gary

I had issues with the quality of my workmanship on the fuselage. This has now been resolved based on my experience with Hound Dog. It will be flown, both of them. Destiny is in the queue as I have the cut parts and plan, from SLEC.

Clearly my builds are to the design size but I had thought of making Destiny larger and 74" sounds good to me.

Steve

The only concern I have with Scaling it up is the spacing of the ribs. Its easy to add some ribs in when they are all the same but not so easy on an elliptical wing as they all change. Peter, what do you think? Will there be enough strength as is? I have compared it to my 69" spit wing and there are an extra 3 or 4 ribs in that and still 2.5" shorter on each wing .

Some of the wood thicknesses may change a little too and I'll make parts from thicker parts in more critical areas but most of it will remain the same.

I now need to be disciplined and not start this before I finish the spitfire!!

Gary

Apart from highly stressed ribs where they are attached to the fuselage or struts (no struts on Rhapsody, ribs are normally classified as secondary structure on full size aircraft and so can be classified as the same on a model. You might increase the thickness a little but should not need any.  Spar sizes can be increased or you could use the same size but harder wood.

Later today I will see if I still have the Compufoil file for Rhapsody.  If I have I can replot the ribs and add a few easily.

It's great having you on here Peter! Thanks so much for the help.

That makes sense and it's usually a lack of confidence since I've never designed a wing myself. I was planning on using a spruce spar and maybe add a secondary spar for the first 1/3rd of the wing and put it approx 1" in front of the original. That's only because that's what BT did on his spit and it's a fair bit heavier.

Gary

By the way.  No need for that extra spar in front of the existing one   because the sheeted leading edge is more than adequate.

I would suggest some extra reinforcement round the undercarriage mounting former. Mine eventually came loose which involved a lot of fiddly work with epoxy etc.