Periodic cycling of TRANSMITTER Ni-MH batteries?

Jonathan M

After three years regular use it suddenly occurred to me that, while I periodically cycle my receiver Ni-MHs, I've never thought to give my transmitter six cell 2000mAh Ni-MH a similar conditioning - especially as I usually recharge after a session's flying with only say half the juice used (using the basic trickle-charger into the side of the TX).

So I've whipped it out, need to make up a conversion lead (from the balance-style plug to my proper charger), and will give it three full discharge/charge cycles, taking it down to 6.0v (1.0v/cell) then back up each time.

Does anyone else do this?

PXL_20210921_155131790.thumb.jpeg.cae0a5853cfbe7ab0f329ca3c9258d78.jpeg

Don't lose sight of the fact that in most low power applications, nimhs are ideal for transmitters, and upkeep is part of the deal.

I won't leave my transmitters in the shed, in an ammunition box, like I do my Lipos, which I don't store in my home.I

Lipos are vital for flight, and high discharge situations, where nihms cannot compete, but I have a thing about lipos crossing my doorstep.

Edited by Denis Watkins

8 minutes ago, Denis Watkins said:

Don't lose sight of the fact that in most low power applications, nimhs are ideal for transmitters, and upkeep is part of the deal.

I won't leave my transmitters in the shed, in an ammunition box, like I do my Lipos, which I don't store in my home.I

Lipos are vital for flight, and high discharge situations, where nihms cannot compete, but I have a thing about lipos crossing my doorstep.

I prefer to use the LiFe cells for transmitters myself. They are pretty much as safe as the lipo which you probably have in your mobile phone or laptop. Since they don't self discharge they are good for at least a couple of weekends flying between charges.

Edited by leccyflyer

4 hours ago, Jonathan M said:

After three years regular use it suddenly occurred to me that, while I periodically cycle my receiver Ni-MHs, I've never thought to give my transmitter six cell 2000mAh Ni-MH a similar conditioning - especially as I usually recharge after a session's flying with only say half the juice used (using the basic trickle-charger into the side of the TX).

So I've whipped it out, need to make up a conversion lead (from the balance-style plug to my proper charger), and will give it three full discharge/charge cycles, taking it down to 6.0v (1.0v/cell) then back up each time.

Does anyone else do this?

PXL_20210921_155131790.thumb.jpeg.cae0a5853cfbe7ab0f329ca3c9258d78.jpeg

This battery university article is worth a read. Having read it it would appear you may need to go lower than 1V/cell to get the best effect, though it is a little woolly on the behaviour of NiMHs vs NiCds...

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-807-how-to-restore-nickel-based-batteries

Thsi is also interesting and compares the two chemistries. In some ways I preferred NiCds tbh, they were pretty resilient blighters though black wire corrosion did seem more prevalent.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-203-nickel-based-batteries

Edited by MattyB
  • Thanks 1

I now use a LiFe battery in my Taranis but when I did use Nimhs I used the Tx to discharge & measured the useable time of the battery.

System was to disable the inactivity alarm, reset one of the timers to zero & set the low volt alarm to 6V. 

Fully charge the Tx in the normal way then leave Tx unused until next day.

Switch the Tx on, make sure the timer's running & leave within earshot whilst getting on with whatever the day brings.

When the LV alarm sounds you now have a real life measure of the battery's discharge duration which is more meaningful than it's AmpHrs capacity. 

PS I used the same system in 35 MHz days.

Edited by PatMc
  • Thanks 1