Balsacraft Bristol Blenheim Motors

David Davis

Shaun,

That is what I did with mine, I went the brushless route but then to get the cg right I ended up with two 3s 2200 lipos right in the very nose of the model.

As I got the model already built it meant some careful keyhole surgery inside the nose to make enough space.

As Leccyflyer says the model was designed for heavy brushed motors and nicads. Also the cg seems to need to be quite well forwards on the wing.

Having said all that it does seem to be quite a nice model to fly.

• Like 1

Having had other Pete Nicholson Design models Ie Balsacraft, such as Bearcat, Hurricane and FW190 with the first two  built originally as Speed 600BB brushed motors 2400 nicads, that were subsequently modified to 3536 brushless power and 3s2200 lipo power. The performance difference was such the FW was built with brushless at the outset. A twin3536 motor and esc with twin 3s 2200 would be a cheap effective solution with good performance for sure.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cliff Bastow said:

Shaun,

That is what I did with mine, I went the brushless route but then to get the cg right I ended up with two 3s 2200 lipos right in the very nose of the model.

As I got the model already built it meant some careful keyhole surgery inside the nose to make enough space.

As Leccyflyer says the model was designed for heavy brushed motors and nicads. Also the cg seems to need to be quite well forwards on the wing.

Having said all that it does seem to be quite a nice model to fly.

Thanks Cliff - as you've noted that's one of the points that some of those who have flown the Blenheim are making. The construction of the model is such that it puts some constraints on how many degrees of freedom you have with the battery packs. My other Balsacraft models are fitted with brushless motors and lipos -usually AXI2820/10 and 3s1p4200mah, but they started life with Magnetic Mayhem buggy motors, with replaced heavier duty bearings and 8 cell NiCd packs.