Any recommendations for an easy to build model with 15 engine?

EGB 953

I have returned to the hobby after about 10 years away. I have learned to fly a 46 size trainer (Irvine Tutor 40)  and can take off, land and do circuits. I want to develop my building skills with something fairly easy in balsa to start with. I have a 15 Thunder tiger engine I used many years ago as a kid, Ideally I would like to build something to match that engine - any recommendations? I confess I am less a 3D flyer and prefer scale or planes that look like aircraft. Any suggestions very welcome. I like the look of the Vintage model company cub (https://www.vintagemodelcompany.com/42-balsa-basics-super-cub-4ch-trainer.html) but I think it is too small for a 15 engine. Its AUW is around 700g.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

15 hours ago, Martin McIntosh said:

A Mini Jazz would be ideal for it, not a scale model but simple and cheap to build, great fun to fly as well. If anyone else looking at this is interested I may be persuaded to part with my OS 15 LA, ex Mini Jazz.

I will investigate, thanks for the suggestion, my building skills are fairly rudimentary so it sounds ideal.

E

Very straight forward build,just the usual box section fuzz,reduced the dihedral to 1" under each tip.I built this model in 2008 and it flew just like a trainer.Flaps were good fun,with a little headwind it could hover.

Next one I built I made the ailerons the same width as the flaps to give a bit more authority,modifiedthe tail end with mid mounted tailplane and a full size rudder.Sold it to chap from Stoke and he flies it every chance he gets.

I got the plan from Derick Scott,he is on Ebay under Flyer21 UK.

PS Os 15 la up front is just right.

JIm

• Like 1

You could get the Mini Super plan free on Outerzone and print it out on an A4 printer 'tiled' or put the pdf on a memory stick and take to a copy shop for printing.

Many other plans on Outerzone too together with the build articles and some books.

My advice is to make sure your .15 engine runs OK before building a model to suit!  

2 hours ago, kc said:

You could get the Mini Super plan free on Outerzone and print it out on an A4 printer 'tiled' or put the pdf on a memory stick and take to a copy shop for printing.

Many other plans on Outerzone too together with the build articles and some books.

My advice is to make sure your .15 engine runs OK before building a model to suit!  

Very good advice! I am going to clean it up this week.  

The Mini Super is a great little flier, not quite as stable as its bigger brother but only to be expected being a smaller model, but the performance is pleasant and forgiving enough. I have a soft spot for the Keil Kraft and Veron designs of the day. I quite fancy building another and have the plans when I get time. Having built a Super 60 before and enjoyed that very much. Although many years ago not long after Instarted rc flying at a Hastings club auction I got a Super 72 that was a scaled up 60 built to fly across the channel, which it had done successfully. So hope that kind of gives some background of the pedigree of the design family.

• Like 1

On 02/10/2021 at 22:00, Nightflyer said:

The Mini Super is a great little flier, not quite as stable as its bigger brother but only to be expected being a smaller model, but the performance is pleasant and forgiving enough. I have a soft spot for the Keil Kraft and Veron designs of the day. I quite fancy building another and have the plans when I get time. Having built a Super 60 before and enjoyed that very much. Although many years ago not long after Instarted rc flying at a Hastings club auction I got a Super 72 that was a scaled up 60 built to fly across the channel, which it had done successfully. So hope that kind of gives some background of the pedigree of the design family.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.