Speed 320 brushed motor availability in UK

Clive Jones 4

Hi Guys,

I have a CC Lee Me 262 EDF. It uses Speed 320 size brushed motors. Can anyone recommend a UK supplier for these motors? An Internet search has left me baffled  as, back in the day, Speed 320, Speed 400 and Speed 600 motors were plentiful - I guess the  move to brushless has influenced supply.

The motors have a can length of 32mm with a 2mm shaft and are variously described as:

Graupner Speed 320

Mabuchi 320 Can motor

TIA

Clive.

4 hours ago, Clive Jones 4 said:

Hi Guys,

I have a CC Lee Me 262 EDF. It uses Speed 320 size brushed motors. Can anyone recommend a UK supplier for these motors? An Internet search has left me baffled  as, back in the day, Speed 320, Speed 400 and Speed 600 motors were plentiful - I guess the  move to brushless has influenced supply.

The motors have a can length of 32mm with a 2mm shaft and are variously described as:

Graupner Speed 320

Mabuchi 320 Can motor

TIA

Clive.

Hi Clive, this is a very old model which, back in the day, I believe was pretty hopeless on these brushed motors as the model was very over-weight and under powered. If someone knows different, please correct me on this as I am just going on comments made on 'RC Groups'. I think a modern brushless setup and fan could transform the model however, so I suggest you give George Worley of 4-Max a ring and ask him what he recommends. Probably a couple of the 50mm fans and BL motors with a suitable LiPo will provide the required urge. Good luck.

Edited by Piers Bowlan

Hi Piers,

I actually flew mine on the stock motors and fans but using 11.1V LiPo and a 40A ESC. It flew in a scale like manner on 3/4 throttle but one motor lost power in flight and I powered off to an OK landing.

You are right that brushless would be the way to go but as I was given this model secondhand, I do not really want to invest much cash into it initially hence the call for the brushed Speed 320.

I hope that the Sp 320s will be adequate for a scale flight (I have other models for aerobatics).

Clive.

I had a Kyosho T33 bought new when they first came out . A useless pile of foam that was underpowered , only climbed to about the height of a normal house before the heavy nicad went flat ! Then lipos and brushless came on the scene. I found a unstarted  T33 kit at the Old Warden boot fair about 12 years ago.  Fitted it with a brushless  EDF unit and a 3000 4s lipo it literally powered away any was a great flyer. Sadly lost just before lockdown due to a unexpected elevator servo failing! 

Try uprating it you eiļ be amazed at the difference.