Club Examiners.

I see on page 25 of the BMFA mag from 2022 club examiners will need to hold a current RCC (Registration Competency Certificate) to retain their status, no biggie really, roll it out to the masses though A, B, C, cert holders and the story might be different.

Anyway, to my question. Have Examiners been told this was coming via an email or some such, or is it news to you ? I subscribe to the BMFA bumf and post the stuff on our web pages, have I missed this one and you all knew ?

No direct communication that I've seen, so news to me - though it may be buried in some recent Minutes that I haven't read yet...

I note that Duncan has gone out of his way to emphasise the nature of examiner status (not an 'achievement') and the need for Clubs to re-ratify their examiners annually.  I raised this with him as a result of discussions in the other examiners thread and I doubt he has reiterated his response to me just for my benefit, so I assume other Clubs/Examiners must have been under the same mis-apprehension.

As Duncan says, we are all volunteers, so I'll see what's involved with the RCC then decide if I'm going to take one step forward...

Is their a reason to not have an RCC? other than to be sure that you are up-to-date with current regulations. I would expect a club examiner taking part in a test for the achievement scheme to be fully conversant with the current regulations and also be able to demonstrate the appropriate test as required. Personally I see this a great leap forward from the ASCR.

Edited by Jason Channing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jason Channing said:

Is their a reason to not have an RCC? other than to be sure that you are up-to-date with current regulations. I would expect a club examiner taking part in a test for the achievement scheme to be fully conversant with the current regulations and also be able to demonstrate appropriate test as required. Personally I see this a great leap forward from the ASCR.

Dunno Jason, not seen anyone post one on here. Think I might have said It's no biggie.

The notice has been circulated to every single member using the BMFA News, thats what its for.

It is essential examiners are up to date with current regulations and the latest Article 16, hence the quite reasonable requirement for all examiners to have passed the latest version of the RCC.

Edited by Andy Symons - BMFA

2 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

I see no one arguing against the requirement, and could add that some may never have been to a workshop or engaged in any other way either, so it makes good sense.

If it was sent to club secretaries I missed it, so the BMFA mag has done it's job Andy.

It wasnt sent to club secretaries as it was going to everyone via the BMFA news.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

Article 16 isn't about drones. Its about all small unmanned aircraft flown by BMFA members.

Unmanned aircraft agreed, but biased towards drones which in our club we never have and are not allowed to fly. I would not be at all surprised if some examiners are lost, which is a shame. I would not bother with it, but for the fact we have a good bunch of lads in our club who need A and B testing from time to time.

• Like 1

I read about the RCC in a recent Achievement Scheme email news letter a few weeks ago that I'm signed up to get. I took the on-line test there and then and passed it without a problem. I didn't bother to revise anything as being a club examiner I do keep up to date with what's going on.  Examiner or not, it's worth doing the test and adding it to your BMFA profile, even if strictly speaking you aren't required to.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

I read about the RCC in a recent Achievement Scheme email news letter a few weeks ago that I'm signed up to get. I took the on-line test there and then and passed it without a problem. I didn't bother to revise anything as being a club examiner I do keep up to date with what's going on.  Examiner or not, it's worth doing the test and adding it to your BMFA profile, even if strictly speaking you aren't required to.

Ah, I'm signed up for those myself so I did miss it, cheers C8.

9 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Question for Andy - the magazine article states that examiners must hold the latest version of the RCC.  Mine is shown as valid for 5 years but will I need to re-take it if/when any amendments are made?

Yes, at ratification there will be a check to ensure all examiners have passed the latest version so it can be shown that they are up to speed with the latest regs.

Unfortunately we have had a few examiners that are behind the curve on the regs.

Edited by Andy Symons - BMFA

25 minutes ago, SIMON CRAGG said:

Question is, will it eventually be rolled out to A / B  cert holders etc, in due course?.

No plans for that and it would be something we wouldnt want to do. Although its actually a very good idea for everyone to do the latest version of the RCC to ensure they are up to speed with the regs they fly under.

34 minutes ago, SIMON CRAGG said:

Question is, will it eventually be rolled out to A / B  cert holders etc, in due course?.

I believe holding the RCC exempts A/B test candidates from the mandatory questions during the test, so it is arguably easier to take it online beforehand than during the test.  presumably the A/B test mandatory questions are based on the Article 16 rules now so test takers will need to know the rules one way or the other.

I've taken the RCC & it's not difficult.  we are encouraging all the pre-A test trainees in our club to take it & most of them pass first time without any trouble.  & the rest of them pass second time.  ?

• Like 1

Suppose I would be one of those been behind the curve, never been able to repeat chapter and verse regarding all the regs for a while now, years ago, yes, much easier to remember it all, and we/I had candidates to take for tests, that kept things fresh in your mind. Now ? Well we got all those willing to do tests done, failed in some cases to encourage some to take one, we're a smallish club so it's a trickle these days, so "Active" becomes harder.

67 years old and our youngest examiner ? That's abysmal, everyone I've put forward or encouraged to take examiners test has backed out, but I shall try again at our upcoming AGM.

I'm with Andy, I wouldn't roll out the RCC to the masses, BUT the same logic that rightly asks examiners to take it, applies does it not ?

all to fly toy model aircraft...could be seen as another nail in the hobby's coffin......youngins and probably a lot of older ones will be put off by a lot of the associated stuff you(may) have to do to enter the hobby...via a BMFA club,dont you think......reading this, I'm not trying to cause WW3 in your replys,just my take on the bigger picture...encompassing "flying model aircraft"... toys.

ken anderson...ne.....1....................comments dept.