A10

bees

Edfs are now installed and I'm at the sanding-sealer stage with most of the model.  One small issue I had was I couldn't get the exhaust ducts exactly circular because they tended to stay flat at the taped overlap, and it showed when viewed from the rear, especially when the vaccuum moulded outer rear casing was installed.  Then I couldn't find any black paint that would adhere to the plastic and to the tape, so I decided to make fibreglass replacements, with a slight taper.  I think they look a bit more like the real thing, for because of the taper there's a greater gap between them and the outer casings.

• 2 months later...

"Target weight" with or without battery?

I've just about finished the build, and am pleased to find that without battery I'm under TN's "target weight" of 1,300g.  But the 400g battery pack is going to take me significantly over 😒

What have other builder achieved weight-wise?  Is TN's "target weight" supposed to be with or without battery?

• 6 months later...

Yes, my maiden ended up badly!  Take-off and climb out were okay, but when I started a left turn into the circuit I got disoriented and the end result was it went into the ground.  Luckily a soft cultivated field, so damage wasn't bad, and it's ready to go again.  Just waiting for better weather now, and will review control surface throws, for it was much too lively for my liking.

• Like 1

I've just about finished the build, and am pleased to find that without battery I'm under TN's "target weight" of 1,300g.  But the 400g battery pack is going to take me significantly over 😒

Hi,

Mine has come out at 1060g without a battery installed, it has been glassed and painted, so potentially heavier than just a film covering.

On 01/02/2023 at 07:31, Colin Low 2 said:

Hi,

Mine has come out at 1060g without a battery installed, it has been glassed and painted, so potentially heavier than just a film covering.

Oh dear, I've just weighed mine and it's 1258g without battery.  Glassed with 25g cloth, and painted.

Mine is likely to be a heavyweight missile as I'm adding rudders to scratch my engineering itch! I'm also going with ESC's in the fuse rather than the engine pods to counter the weight of the servo in the tail!

I'm going to cover with some super matt lamination film before spraying - I'll update you with the weight of mine once she's done!!! I'm building mine from the free plan but I think I am going to have to succumb to buying a canopy - I could easily enough use some pop bottles for the engine cowling but I can't see me being able to fashion a canopy so I might as well buy the vac form kit from TN and maybe even add the pilot whilst I'm at it!

1 hour ago, Allan Bennett said:

Just remembered, instead of working rudders I've programmed a slight rudder -> throttle mix into mine.  My ESCs are in the fuselage to minimise battery wire length, and I've had no problem with c of g.

What so you vary the output of the edf's when you use the rudder? That's genius, I wish I'd thought of that!!!

10 hours ago, David Hazell 1 said:

What so you vary the output of the edf's when you use the rudder? That's genius, I wish I'd thought of that!!!

Yes, so each throttle is on a separate channel.  The first one is on my regular throttle channel (3) and the other one is on 6, linked to 3.  Then one channel is given a + rudder mix and the other is given a - rudder mix.  I use that on my Multiplex Twinstar too, though with greater rudder input, to assist with ground handling.

29 minutes ago, Allan Bennett said:

Yes, so each throttle is on a separate channel.  The first one is on my regular throttle channel (3) and the other one is on 6, linked to 3.  Then one channel is given a + rudder mix and the other is given a - rudder mix.  I use that on my Multiplex Twinstar too, though with greater rudder input, to assist with ground handling.

I was planning to do the same for my ESC set up, but I hadn't thought of varying the output with a rudder mix. I might have to have a go at that too!

Are you sending two lots of BEC power into the rx, or have you pulled the red wire out of one of the connectors?

11 hours ago, David Hazell 1 said:

I was planning to do the same for my ESC set up, but I hadn't thought of varying the output with a rudder mix. I might have to have a go at that too!

Are you sending two lots of BEC power into the rx, or have you pulled the red wire out of one of the connectors?

I actually use a Shottky diode device which isolates the two BECs from each other and lets one continue to supply power to the Rx if the other fails for some reason.  Without the isolator I would definitely pull one red wire out of its connector.

13 hours ago, Allan Bennett said:

I actually use a Shottky diode device which isolates the two BECs from each other and lets one continue to supply power to the Rx if the other fails for some reason.  Without the isolator I would definitely pull one red wire out of its connector.

Would it hurt to just have both BEC's running into the Rx? 

11 minutes ago, David Hazell 1 said:

I'm reading horror stories so will remove a red wire!!!

Yes, if they're switching BECs (common these days), it can hurt one or both of the BECs because of voltage and/or frequency mis-match.  If they're linear BECs (usually a lower amps capability) and the same spec you can usually connect them together to increase the available amps.

Thought that I had previously replied to this thread but it must have got lost.

I am just starting a +130% version for 64mm FMS 4s EDFs. Got the plan scaled up at my local print shop for £15 on two sheets of proper paper.

So far, I have only made up the fus. formers from a ply of 1/8th and 1/16th balsa to keep the weight as low as possible.

I intend to fit retracts since the increase in size should make these viable, but shall have to wait for the only suitable ones I could find on AliExpress.

I have had to take a chance with the ESCs and hope that if I need to extend any wiring they will be OK, having been caught out before despite the correct type of extra capacitors being fitted.

I have been scratching around for suitable balsa but a job lot of quality stuff has just been made available for collection tomorrow at the right price so Ye Hah!

Not been near my shed since the completion of my Sea Fury due to ill health causing lack of interest in anything at all but this design has inspired me to make an effort again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I have almost finished the build, covered her with matt laminating film and about to airbrush as scantily as possible. Without paint or battery, she's up to 1114g! I don't know how people get their weights so much significantly lower than mine! Maybe I use too much filler! I mean I have an extra 30 odd grams of weight thanks to fitting rudders but that's not even close to @Colin Low 2's final weight!!!

I had thought about sticking a 5000mah battery in the front to make sure she wasn't tail heavy with all that rudder servo action going on at the back, but I think I might have to stick with 3300mahs instead!

IMG_20230320_164345.thumb.jpg.9653dd45cfbd31d49cbf3bde244dddbe.jpgIMG_20230320_164334.thumb.jpg.e21619f7996f6b5ca164cfc2c58166d1.jpg

• Like 3