AR8010T Receiver Antennas vs Flight Log Indications

EvilC57

I have an AR8010T 8-channel receiver in a model which had its 2nd and 3rd flights yesterday.

Using the telemetry Flight Log facility on my DX8 (Gen 1) Tx after one of the flights, I noticed that the 'A' receiver was showing 3458 antenna fades, and the right receiver 261 antenna fades, along with 160 Frame losses. But fortunately no Holds. See screen pic below:

I see that the notes on the back of the packet for a Spektrum Flight Log unit I also have, say that 50 - 100 antenna fades during a flight are normal, and that frame losses should be less than 20.

I've heard that the new 'antennaless' AR 410 and AR620 receivers are prone to very high numbers of antenna fades (bourne out by my own experience), but didn't know this also seems to apply to the AR8010T.

The AR81010T manual says nothing about anything to do with telemetry or Flight Log indications as far as I can see.

So my questions are:

1. Which aerials on an AR8010T correlate to the 'A' reciver on the Flight Log indications, so that I know which one(s) to try relocating for a better signal?

2. What constitutes an accepatble number of antenna fades and frame losses?

3. Presumably the 'right receiver' on my 8010 is the satellite reciever, which is plugged into one of the Remote Receiver Ports?

large.IMG_4702.JPG.330699ecd844cf81ad03d882d1d486b6.JPG

OK thanks guys.

I was flying a mixture of clockwise and anti-clockwise circuits, figure 8s, and low passes - nothing too clever as it’s a twin, and I don’t want to provoke a dead engine one side!

I have placed the 3 aerials in X, Y & Z orientation as per usual good practice, but yes (assuming that the ‘A’ receiver refers to the internal aerials), it seems the satellite is giving the better signal strength.

I guess as long as there are no Holds, I’ll have to live with the high number of fades - as Denis said, a lot of the time we’re flying like this and have no knowledge of it.

Shame things aren’t better explained in the manuals though…

How long was the flight, or another way, what’s the frame loss per minute of flight. 

There was a thread on here, and it related to telemetry on orange receivers working with Spektrum transmitters. And we ended up referring to an American site, where the system developer Andy Kurtz? lurks.

I remember he was quite relaxed about fades, more that the instructions suggest. No holds obviously, but I can’t remember his view on frame losses. 

But as Dennis said, we didn’t worry too much when we didn’t have this information. Was the aircraft flying OK, because a symptom of excessive frame losses is a courseness in the control response. 

Don, the two flights were around 8 to 10 minutes each (still establishing the optimum time to set the timer to, by inspecting the remaining fuel after landing).

No coarseness was noticed in control or flying response.

Sounds like it might be worth posting my questions on somewhere like RCGroups.com as well, in case this Andy Kurtz(?) chap lurk there. Or a phone call to John Norris at Logic RC maybe.

On 10/10/2021 at 18:32, EvilC57 said:

OK thanks for that BackinBlack.

I’ve just emailed John Norris at Logic RC in the meantime. I’ll let you know if he comes back to me…

John came back to me by email yesterday, and just suggested I send the receiver into them so they can check it out. Im still trying to decide whether it’s worth ripping it out of the model and putting it at risk in the post, as it’s all plumbed in at the moment.

Hi, Depends on if you want John to check it out and how difficult it is to remove, the alternative is carry on as is and what the risk of losing the model crash/injury?

IMO I would send it to John for piece of mind, but then again I don't bury RX's that need ripping out to gain access to them.

Update: After carrying out some more extensive range testing on the ground using the Flight Log error count facility in the DX8, while walking a 30m radius circle around the model out on our flying field, I reconfirmed the high error count from the ‘A’ receiver.

However after moving one of the aerials down into the nose of the model, further away from servo wiring etc. the error rate for that particular receiver has gone down from several thousand during the course of a 30m circular walk  around the model, to just a couple of hundred - a similar number to those from the satellite receiver.

This is repeatable, and I’m happy I’ve fixed the problem. So I don’t believe there’s any need to bother John Norris with it now.

Just goes to show how careful you have to be siting aerials!

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Hi All, Slightly off topic but I did not want to post in the 'AR620 Problem' as I don't have a problem, but just need some clarification on a telemetry issue. My AR620 Flight Log data works OK and outputs three parameters. F: H: O: 

The AR620 receiver user guide does not define what these parameters are or how they are to be interpret. However I know what the F: and H: parameters are (from an AR8020T user guide), but I do not know what O: is defined as, or how to use its data. Any help/advice would be gratefully received.