Enya 120 4c modifying to petrol ?

Paul De Tourtoulon

os f plug gets my vote ? 

I had a problem with the carb on my enya 53 and 155. The 53 had a TN carb option from enya so i fitted that and it ruined the engine as it threw props and wasa nightmare to tune. The problem was the original carb was 5mm bore, the new one 7.2. I made an ali sleeve at work, pressed it in and now back to 5mm bore it works perfectly. The 155 just ran really badly so i modified a laser carb to fit and that totally solved the problem. A friend also has a VT240 with duff carbs and we are going to have a crack at fixing it over the winter. 

3 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Thanks David, it's the one you have in the picture, I have taken the ring off to free the nut,,,

I will be running it up again in the garden today with the 16 x 6, if you can hear it at your place just tell me

Was up on the roof this morning replacing a broken tile. Didn't hear your engine though!

• Like 1

Sorry but it's a Novarossi carburettor, , I drilled out the main jet to 1.5mm now up to 7.800 rpm as even with the needle valve fully open it wouldn't go past 7.000 rpm and it isn't happy with the 16 x 6, so monday I will go back to the APC 15 x 7, The neighbours with probably agree with me giving it a rest this Sunday,,,?

I ran a tankful through the engine at the model field despite the complaints of excessive noise,,?

it ran much better and smoothly up to the 10.000 rpm with the APC 14 x 7, I will copy Jon's Laser engines system and silver solder a tube onto a flange and fit the Perry carburettor within 2cm of the engine then

wait and see,,,,

For consideration

Another failed petrol conversion landed on my bench this morning. I was told it cost around £300 to convert the virtually brand new engine petrol, didnt even last one flight. Its going to cost around £250 to convert it back to glow and repair the damage to the engine but the model (new, expensive, and now broken on its first flight) needs repairs too.

Is it worth it? 

20211027_150132.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Was that "just" lubrication failure or more to it?

Its seized on the big end due to lack of lubrication. However, it was reported to be running 20:1 and yet my prototypes have been fine at 50:1 so there is clearly more to it. 

As always, its not as simple as a cdi unit and walbro carb. 

Paul, good work on the upgrade. Just remember you will need to lower your fuel tank now if the engine is installed inverted ? 

15 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Yes it will have to be near the carb level, maybe the plane that it will go in will be mounted sideways, or I will fit the carb to the original Enya admission tube.

I did this on my 155. Reamed the laser carb stub to fit the enya induction tube and made a small metal bracket to hold the carb to the engine backplate. Its worked very well. 

All i need to cure now is the engine's desire to destroy every exhaust i fit on to it!

Tell me about it, my Enya 90c has destroyed everything that i have put on the exhaust, flexible stainless included, but the ear splitting noise has to go on the 120 !

I fixed the engine to a bit of angle iron this morning so that I can get on with an indestructible exhaust,,,

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
iron

Had a problem with my ENYA 90 when the header pipe came loose in the air and by the time I landed the hole/thread in the head had worn enough that whatever one did it would not stay done up.

The fix was to heat the header pipe to red hot and then tap in a mandrel in to expand it some, result a good fit in the head again but to save having the weight of the exhaust loading it I remote mounted the muffler with a padded P clip to the bulkhead. It is not super tight and would fall out were it not for the pressure nipple resting on it. A section of stainless flexi from Inwoods models and an extra header pipe from an old ASP join engine and exhaust with pipe clips.

Has worked fine for a couple of years now.

enya 90.JPG

I modified a laser exhaust for my 155 and it worked well. I wanted to make it a little quieter though so made a new baffle and installed it. Lovely job, nice and quiet...for about 5 minutes and then i lost all power. Something was wrong, but what?....well, the splatters of molten aluminium on the wing told the story. My new baffle had been melted by the direct blast of the exhaust gasses! 

Enya 155's run mega hot EGT, even castor refuses to burn to the exhaust and just turns to ash.