x-RES E from Hyperflight

EarlyBird

A productive day yesterday.

Wing shaped, tail feathers built, and servo tray built.

IMG_20211102_081303.thumb.jpg.3259c964e0d28748720187f7927c8710.jpg

I like the self jigging design and also the CNC cut which makes the build quicker and possibly stronger as there is no burnt wood needing to be sanded off every piece.

The target weight is some 500g.?

Lots of balsa is to be removed on the tail feathers which are shaped to 1 mm on the trailing edges, for example. 

Light weight covering helps, Oralight for example. Getting into the spirit of building light I have been looking at covering options including tissue over cling film.

As I am puzzling over the covering I started the wings.

IMG_20211103_183551.thumb.jpg.3138cc2e193537fcb216880ec8fc07fe.jpg

Both have had the bottom sheeting pulled up ready for the LE to be fitted. 

Another good days work ?

Looks like Oralight at 25g/m2 is the lightest but HK for example don't give a weight and doped tissue is difficult to find a weight at all.

I have a couple of sheets of litespan which I will use but it's not enough. I have been looking at Free Flight Supplies Polyspan and Mylar look promising but the weights will not include dope.

Not to worry it's a long time to flying season?

10 hours ago, Outrunner said:

My favourite is Solarfilm Solite at around 20 gsm it's very light and far cheaper than Oralight, still available in most colours direct from Solarfilm.

Thanks @Outrunner that's exactly what I was looking for, how had I missed it??

I was beginning to think no one was out there.

Now ordered so I can get back to the build with renewed enthusiasm.?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Monthly update, two days early. The wings are sanded and ready to cover now I have to decide what with. I bought 15m of Solite(?) 5m each of red, yellow and blue but I have a large stock of HK film. I have used HK and find it easy whereas this will be the first time for the Solite, but it should be lighter. How much lighter and will there be any significant benefit is what I am puzzling over. My instinct is telling me to bang the HK on and get it flying before summer is over. 🤔

@Nick Crippshow hard is this Solite to use and is there some special technique to use?

Steve

24 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

If you are concerned about weight then go with Solite, if not then the HK film will be fine. Solite is easy to use, but I tend to use a lower heat setting than I use for HK film.

My only concern is that Solite requires Cover Grip which I have never used.

Must have the wrong name. It's a Solarfilm product that has no glue on the back, I bought it from Steve Webb 😳 just checked SoLite and it just says Iron on film. 

Best thing to do is to try a bit then go have a lay down to get over the shock of making a mistake, something I'm not used to. 

Steve

7 hours ago, Nick Cripps said:

Apparently, removing the backing sheet works well 😁

Obviously, I think I am having some age-related issues.

I am sure you used Cover Grip on your mass build so either you left the backing sheet on, or it wasn't Solite on reflection I think it was the latter. 

Having bought a big bottle of Cover Grip I am going to have to find a use for it. 💡 some will be used on the under cambered wings, not totally wasted then. 🙂

I am happy now.

Steve