x-RES E from Hyperflight

EarlyBird

The tail feathers are now covered with the amazing Solite, it's so easy to use. I followed Ron's advice and turned the iron temperature down and even at the minimum 100C it works and quickly. Considering how I was putting the covering off, anxiety I think, finding it so simple to use has made my day, week or year. When I bought 15m of Solite at £7.99/m I thought maybe it would be too much and I would never use it, but now I am thinking I should buy more before it's all gone.

Covering is usually a time when I start to think of what next, I have a CG Electra kit which I was reluctant to start because of my assumed covering issues, which are no more so it looks like the Carl Golberg Electra has made it to the top of the list.

Steve

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

Covering is usually a time when I start to think of what next, I have a CG Electra kit which I was reluctant to start because of my assumed covering issues, which are no more so it looks like the Carl Golberg Electra has made it to the top of the list.

Steve

Goldberg Electra is a nice plane and was one of my first electric gliders back in the late 1980s, I think you will enjoy it.

Perhaps I should get mine out of the roof and refurbish it. I can replace the Fleet Rx, but I wonder if the Deac still has a charge 😀

Dick

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Sounds like you’ve got your MoJo back Steve!

Never lost it Ron, it's just some days I have other things to do, shopping, wash the car (not recently though), garden, flying, doctors, pharmacy, hospital and some days I just can't be bothered. 

I have read the Cover Grip and Solite instructions, there's another first. Solite works down to 80C 😲. The Cover Grip has been brushed on to the under cambered ribs and is now drying, hopefully I haven't misunderstood as when it comes to instructions (any written English) I am as likely to misunderstand as I am to understand. Why is English not like Maths where there is a right answer and everything else is wrong? At school it seemed to me that everything I wrote was wrong, judging by all the red ink.

Having introduced some thread drift, which I particularly hate, but no jokes which I find even worse, or was that one?

Next, I will start covering the outer wings with Solite even though I am wondering if it will be strong enough as it is ever so light but there is only one way to find out.

Steve

2 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

It will be fine Steve.

Thanks Ron, I was using the wing tip as a test, and it looks fine. The Cover Grip works on the rib undersides as there was no sign of the covering pulling away, I stuck the covering to the ribs first, along the centre line then towards the LE and TE using the tip of the iron, before shrinking between the ribs. Buoyed up with confidence I will continue in a more confident manner.

Steve

Both tips are now done in red and started on the yellow.

IMG_20220807_072529_HDR.thumb.jpg.b0bd48a0e96711af8899499b0cbf1928.jpg

Some unexplained reflections which could be me, it does look better than that, trust me.

A couple of issues have come up with the Solite, one is obviously the colour showing through on the lapped joins and the other is that once the backing sheet is removed from the larger pieces it behaves like cling film. Given time I will come up with solutions. 🙂

Steve

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Did you finish it / fly it Steve?

Not finished yet Ron as health and age have become an issue for me. I am thinking of having it finished for next spring. At the moment I am looking at Hound Dog because it will be an easy and quick build that will get me back into building.

Thanks for asking.

Steve

Ditto that Steve.

I rekindled my love for gliders last week when we had a really beautiful day for flying. Took  my Leprechaun XL but removed the inner panels (does that make it a Leprechaun Standard?) and my Osprey F5J. Quite a few, albeit light, thermals pushed through so had a great time. 

I’ve now adapted my Auri F3K and will be trying a bungee launch with it tomorrow, never used a bungee before so it will be interesting but am thinking of F3 RES for next year, hence wanting to play with bungee launching. 

Thanks GG and Ron,

I have always had a phobia about being late but old age is one thing I would not have minded being late for.

Gliders are very forgiving in that any mistakes I make while flying more than ten mistakes high have no consequences. There is a lot of skill required to fly them well though. I am just beginning to recognise when the model finds rising air and then exploit the thermal. I am slowly learning, and flight times are increasing most noticeably in less than perfect conditions. I find them good fun.

Bungee launching is something I want to have a go at because I have two gliders built by my sons and me in the early 90s that are bungee or tow line launch.

I am looking forward to lots more fun.

Cheers

Steve

Well I tried out the bungee launch with the DLG and it worked! It’s not designed to be a high start but more to replace the discus manoeuvre when launching so provides the energy for it to zoom up to height. The only problem was that the bungee (silicon tube) broke on the third attempt so I can no longer trust it’s integrity (it’s been outside for 2 years!) and it will have to be replaced when I can find some more.

What lift there was yesterday was very weak and I was resorting to picking up the heat from the chimney in the nearby wood chip factory! Not even the local Buzzards and Red Kites we’re soaring!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Good day everyone. I am late to the party.

I have just started an X-Res- Elektro.

No instructions came with my kit so I am winging it!  This thread and another from another site are my bible.

I also consider myself to have been a bit unlucky in that the trailing edges for the centre section of the wing have been CNC cut slightly undersize. Either that or have shrunk due to moisture content. I emailed  Zeller but was told that it was to be expected in a wooden kit.

It's only 2mm but because all of the ribs self jig it means that by the time you get to rib9 they are not perpendicular. ( bending), and rib 9 has to be true.

This aside, I am loving the build. Quite addictive.

cheers for now,  andy

• 1 month later...

One month later and I am continuing to make progress.

My wing sections are all built, tips added and shaped. I just have to fit the spoilers, glue the outer sections to the intermediate sections

My tails are 95% ready for covering.

My fuz is underway. Ply doublers and longerons added. Glue drying as we speak.

The build instructions say that there are ply doublers for top and bottom as well, but they are not in the box or on the parts listing. I guess these are not needed for the elektro.

Steve, did you you put in longerons 4 x 4 on the upper nose section? The plan doesn't show them but I have seen them on glider version photos.

andy

9 hours ago, andy harrold said:

Steve, did you you put in longerons 4 x 4 on the upper nose section? The plan doesn't show them but I have seen them on glider version photos.

No longerons. Have you bought the motor? The design is for front mounting but a rear mounted motor, with a bespoke former struck me as a better idea because of the tight fit.

IMG_20211031_094114.thumb.jpg.6846aa7b667371fd2e4564b2f29198c1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...