Super 60 Renovation

In the process of restoring an old Keil-Kraft 'Super 60'.

The Dural, (or is it just aluminium?), formed undercarriage, complete with wire stiffner, has severely oxidised and has other ingrained dirt, marks, old fuel residue etc.

I've been over it several times with Duraglit and lots of 'elbow grease'; it's still a bit meh, could be better.

Anyone any other magic cleaner suggestions to restore the bright shine and lustre of the fresh out of the kit box condition?

P1050759.JPG

P1050760.JPG

The age hardening occurs in about 24 -48 hours after heating Dural and leaving to cool.

It's easily possible to give dural etc a 'satin chrome' effect by lightly sanding with very fine Wet or Dry paper used with some oil.   I treated a flashgun bracket like that to match a camera satin chrome finish.  Obviously try on a scrap bit first.   Might be better than trying to polish.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Andy Stephenson said:

Paul,

The "60" in the name relates to the wingspan not the engine size. It would be mighty overpowered with that engine.

Many years ago a fellow club member put a Fox 60 in a Super 60, it went like excrement off a digging implement until a low high speed pass resulted in the wing leading edge lifting producing a very tight loop into the ground. 

Paul,

the Super 60 plan and article is here on Outerzone.  You can see what motors people used  and the original seems to have used an Enya .19    others used a .25  and there is also an electric motor spec mentioned.   One of my clubmates has an electric version and it flys magnificently.

Ben Buckle does kits and plans for this and a low wing version.

Edited by kc

1 hour ago, Andy Stephenson said:

Paul,

The "60" in the name relates to the wingspan not the engine size. It would be mighty overpowered with that engine.

I agree. A 25-35 four-stroke is recommended for the Super 60 in its promotional literature. https://www.benbucklevintage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11. A 40 four-stroke would be ample for this model, indeed I've seen an Enya 40 fourstroke fly the much larger Radio Queen quite adequately.

On 13/11/2021 at 09:17, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Nothing else on the Super 60 ?, I have an OS 61fs arriving and was thinking about building one.

PS. The open rocker OS 61 FS is the engine of choice for Big Guff builders. The Big Guff has an eight foot wingspan and was probably the first model aeroplane specifically designed for radio control in 1938. Mine, the third model shown below, is over-powered by a Laser 62. Short kit available here: http://store.laser-design-services.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=400.

Sorry to go off thread.

Charlie Chomos Big Guff 2.jpg

Peter Russell's Big Guff..jpg

Gueret Fly-In Oct 2021 (5).jpg

23 hours ago, David Ovenden said:

Back to the original question. I would try a "scothbrite" flap wheel in a electric drill to get a satin finish on the dural.

apidbudxu__55153.1621937499.500.659.jpg

Agree. The technique I use with alloy motorcycle engine casings is to start with a medium wet and dry to remove stubborn or deep marks and then Scotchbrite pads to get the satin finish required, or finish with Solvol for a shine. WD 40 works well to keep things well lubed. Personally I think a flap wheel might be a bit too strong, but as always 'horses for courses'. A good tutorial here - https://youtu.be/v0BIDxmAEH4

The original owner of my otherwise spotless Bonneville put a couple of deep scratches from his boots into the engine casing and with care and a bit of time I've completely removed them using this technique.

Edited by Cuban8

Sorry to say my last S60 went in the council skip 25 years ago. Always flew the two that I had with a Merco 60.  Fuselage on both was skinned in 1/16 balsa and a considerable amount of additional ply added to the wing dihedral joint.

Great plane to learn night flying on which we did 55 odd years ago.

Happy to say my original engine and radio gear still works fine so at least they made products to last all those years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just spotted this thread, I'm on my second S60 the first was KK original and the second is a Ben Buckle.  The first was sold on to a gentleman that wanted something less fast and "brick like" than a Hi Boy as he was of advanced years, I think the engine was an OS 35FP. 

I'm just about to fit an OS 35FP or OS 40FP into the BB version.  It was last flown with an Irvine 40 which was seriously heavy for the plane.  The 40FP I'm looking to put in the BB version  was the one I used in the KK version 40 plus years ago, still has good compression.  The 35FP I picked up somewhere more recently, looks hardly used.  Still tossing the coin on which way to go.

Guidance is still the Futaba FF7 I bought all that time ago, I had it serviced just a few years back to make sure it was still up to spec.

So to reference the OP I think more than a 40 2T will be much to much, mine can aerobat (vaguely!) on the 40 size. 

Edited by Stuart Z

• 3 weeks later...