Warbirds Replicas Winter build thread.

As a number of us have purchased some of Richard Wills excellent Warbirds Replica kits it would be great if a few of us could pull them out from our kit stashes and put them on the building board as this years winter project, how about putting the builds in one easy thread? I have a couple of them to build, an LA7 and a JU88, one of these will be started in the next couple of weeks and you can watch it go together in this thread. I have emailed Manny at the BMFA to get the dates for next years scale fly ins at Buckminster and it would be great if a few of who have or are building Richards kits to have a get together, i will stick the dates on here once i have heard back so we can get a date agreed. Feel free to chip in about the Warbirds kits.............Martin

IMG_20210414_205008_resized_20210414_085023397.jpg

IMG_20210414_203230_resized_20210414_083407024.jpg

kit.jpg

I've just got to finish my spitfire and then I can either go P51 or LA7. I think I will do the LA7 first, aptly powered by a (shiny new) LAser 70...

Trying to get a list of things together that I will need - I am planning to make a purchase from MSL for fuel and sundries.

It's going to be a long winter (though not so cold if the recent weather pattern keeps going). I reckon I'll have two warbirds to maiden by May next year...

?

I'm completely fascinated by Warbird Replicas. A most intriguing business model.

Visited many many times

Members here speak highly of them, and tantalise with builds of aircraft that are really more than interesting. I'm really very tempted.

However on visiting the site, there seems only one kit available, and no catalogue of what could be or has been available in the past.

So how does one encourage the manufacture of kits, if there isn't a catalogue against which to declare an interest and generate economic demand?

Richard tends to do short runs of one type, those that put there hands up get one, those that don`t miss out on very nicely produced kits, Richard also offers retracts for them and custom made decals for the particular aircraft you want to model can be produced by Glynn. Not sure what his current plans are as he has just completed a run of LA7 kits. 

Edited by martin collins 1

Not sure which of my two kits will be built this winter Graham, both will be electric and i will be posting the build on this thread, the idea being to pull in a few others to build one of their stashed Warbirds Replica kits as this years winter build. If a few of us get stuck in over the winter months we can all hopefully meet up with the finished planes next year to put a face to the name and get some group photos of our completed projects together.

On 28/10/2021 at 14:44, martin collins 1 said:

Richard tends to do short runs of one type, those that put there hands up get one, those that don`t miss out on very nicely produced kits, Richard also offers retracts for them and custom made decals for the particular aircraft you want to model can be produced by Glynn. Not sure what his current plans are as he has just completed a run of LA7 kits. 

Not much use if I can't see some basic data eg wingspan motor battery size. It'd be like buying a Maserati blind, might be beautiful, but completely the wrong model

Richard's excellent kits had flown completely under my radar, until seeing them on this forum. Now I've got four of them in the kit mountain, the Spitfire, P-51B, Ju88 and Hurricane. It's been quite a few years since I've built a kit, as I haven't really had the facilities and have been mostly doing refurbs, ARTFs and my beloved foamie warbirds. My pal Derek keeps telling me to get the Ju88 on the bench and one of the four will definitely be my first build in the new workshop. It's just a question of which one. Looking at the weather I think that could be it for this flying season, so I'll maybe make a start in the next few weeks.

138296215_DSC_10232461.thumb.JPG.20e8095c21db0221169e55c74b487654.JPGThis is the outer wing panel of the Hurricane, the cut out was done before the leading edge was fitted. i measured 10mm from the top of the wing and 15mm from the bottom at the rear, and cut in from the leading edge to the rear with a bread knife, the vertical cuts were made with a razor saw. remember to take the dihedral into account and angle the cut out to allow the mounting sit right.

I don't know what happened to the other pictures Martin transferred over, they now seem to be back on the other thread.