Dancing Girl

THat was quite a long time ago.

I know that it was a really nice model but I can't remember too much about it.so I dragged out the original article and remembered that it was really.  IT  was over powered  and I had left the snakes to the elevators a bit too flexible and got violent tail flutter. I cured that by adding mass balances to the elevators. Make sure that the controls are really stiff of using a .46 engine

To give you an indication of the performance with that engine  When I tried to go into knife edge flight it promptly did a KNIFE EDGE LOOP!!! This was a bit startling to say the least.

I eventually sold the model.

I can say that SLEC do great cutting out. They did the parts for my Destiny and that was perfect.

22 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

THat was quite a long time ago.

I know that it was a really nice model but I can't remember too much about it.so I dragged out the original article and remembered that it was really.  IT  was over powered  and I had left the snakes to the elevators a bit too flexible and got violent tail flutter. I cured that by adding mass balances to the elevators. Make sure that the controls are really stiff of using a .46 engine

To give you an indication of the performance with that engine  When I tried to go into knife edge flight it promptly did a KNIFE EDGE LOOP!!! This was a bit startling to say the least.

I eventually sold the model.

I can say that SLEC do great cutting out. They did the parts for my Destiny and that was perfect.

Hi Peter.  Thanks for info.  I have now printed and read the accompanying article which is very helpful.  I see that you got the canopy from Vortex Vacuform and it is still quoted it on their website.  However it looks as if Micro-Mold where you got the applecheeks are no more so I have been looking to see if any other supplier has a similar item.  No luck so far on that, but Carbon Copy look to have suitable undercarriages.  I have already looked at Sarik and SLEC ref parts but so far no luck.  Looks as if I will be bashing the balsa for the cheeks.

I have a spare Irvine 46 (OS red version) so that will probably be the powerplant.

Cheers

Peter (LPP)

Edited by Low pass Pete

The apple cheeks can be shaped from laminations of balsa and hollowed out. My usual method.

SLEC Could cut out the parts but they would have to prepare the cutting program which could work out expensive.  I know that they did my "Li'l Cub" for someone that way, don't think I ever heard the price.

Well you know what the performance will be like with the OS 46, Definitely needing bicycle clips!!!

Quite frankly it is so simple to cut wing ribs

I photocopy the ribs  to make two sets or you can even use the ones on the plan. I use 3M spray mount on the paper and stick them down on the wood and cut round them. If I use the plan I cut one set and use those to cut a second set for the other wing.

It might take an hour to cut a full set out but that saves the time of ordering the ribs and waiting for them to be delivered. It also  saves the cost of having them cut out.

But then I learned my modelling in the days when KK first provided a band sawn set of band sawn ribs for their Junior 60.  The sheer amazement of that!!!. And the  die crushed  sheets provided by FRog kits. Those were the height of luxury!!!! 

Mind you, they were kits that a youngster could afford...well perhaps the KK Junior 60 was a bit expensive at £3.

I had not noticed that double taper on the Oodalally!   To me the Oodalally is the better model to build anyway as it also has a fuselage mounted u/c.   But I like the looks of the Dancing Girl with apple cheeks and spats.    For anyone wanting  a set of cut parts though the Oodalally might fill the bill as Sarik list them.

11 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

The apple cheeks can be shaped from laminations of balsa and hollowed out. My usual method.

SLEC Could cut out the parts but they would have to prepare the cutting program which could work out expensive.  I know that they did my "Li'l Cub" for someone that way, don't think I ever heard the price.

Well you know what the performance will be like with the OS 46, Definitely needing bicycle clips!!!

Always got a throttle.  Full chat is not a target just there when needed.  Sounds as if it will suit me, hence my nick-name Low Pass Pete?

1 hour ago, Peter Miller said:

I suspect that Low Pass Pete has chosen Dancing Girl bec ause he likes the shape (which is the main reason for choosing a model ) rather than Oodalally or any other design.

Bang on Peter.  Love those cheeks.  Always like to be different at the strip.  Hence why I don't have a Wot 4 or Acrowot ARTF.  I do however have an older kit Acrowot that I refurbished last winter and put a 2 stroke in it (OS55).  Goes better than original build with a 4 stroke!  I did consider Oodalally however.

Edited by Low pass Pete

34 minutes ago, Jonathan M said:

So (just idly wondering!) what would be an appropriately-sized engine for the DG?

I would chose an OS46 always.  But only have an Irvine spare at the moment.  Good to have excess power when needed.  My Acrowot with an OS55 is hardly ever a full chat except when in a steep climb.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2021 at 08:40, Peter Miller said:

I contacted SLEC and they can do the ribs etc but maybe a bit pricey (there are 11 different rib shapes at £4 per rib and wood cost on top).  Not started yet so maybe have a think on cutting ribs old style.  Not done that for a long while!

OUCH!!!.

What I do is buy some 3M spray mount. Cut out the ribs from the plan spray them and stick them down on the wood and cut round them.

It takes an hour or so but that is how I do all the parts of the model except the fuselage sides which are done with carbon paper under the plan. 

When I look at the cost of pre cut parts I am staggered.

I do understand the cost from SLEC as they have to convert each separate rib to a CNC cutting file which takes time. and that is going to be a one off.