Edge Trim Material

Andy J

Need some edge trim material for a couple of applications but have not a clue what it could be called or even if its manufactured.

The first application is for a trim to go around the edge of the WW1 biplane cockpit to simulate a leather style protective edge. Tried using fuel pipe which I split allowing it to be pushed onto the fuselage skin that forms the cockpit opening but found the paint quickly rubbed off as fuel tube is I assume silicon based.

Second application is for a rubber trim around the upper edge of a Sparrowhawk fiberglass  undercarriage pants moulding where it meets the wing skin. Saw an example of this on a full size Chiltern at Old Warden so want to replicate this for the Sparrowhawk.

So what I need to find is a flexible tube in various outside diameters, say 3 to 6mm split along its length preferably available in black and brown. Alternatively a P shaped product would also work as it would give a bigger surface to stick to the material it is edging.  Is this product made??

Did think of doing that Martin but sure there must be a product made for this type of application. Car trims as sold on ebay seem to be a viable option so will purchase some black 3x6mm split rubber as a test. Yet to find a similar product in simulated brown though.

Like Pat I've found the insulation split from electrical cable is quite effective for this job. Flair did used to sell a very similar product, which was essentially just like that cable insulation with a slit cut in it so that you could feed it over the edge of the opening and you could then secure it with a drop of CA at the joint.

silhouetteswitch1.jpg.decd87214f11cd60811af22019b9f096.jpg

If you've got some spare TV coaxial cable knocking about, it even has a fairly convincing brown leather appearance.

Edited by leccyflyer
added picture
  • Like 1

If you haven't got any coaxial TV aerial knocking about, PM me with your snail mail address and I'll stick you some in the post FOC- I came across a great big loop of it this morning which is surplus to requirement -a bit bigger than 3mm, but that doesn't matter, since you would be able to just slit it and overlap.

I bought some edging via eBay which is intended to put round holes in metal sheet that has wiring passing through it.  Can't remember the search term I used but something like 'edging grommet'. There were several suppliers and it's quite cheap and it's a lot easier than trying to slice open co-ax outer along its length.