Tissue and Stringers Conversion

Cliff 1959

This winter I will be making enlarged versions of kk ff kit models to c/l Cox powered 049, and X2 scale for RC, IC and electric propulsion.

Can't wait to compare IC versus electric power wieghts

Suspect IC is gunna win hands down on all respects, but I am completely new to electric power, so some wieght loss ( £'s probably ) to achieve.

Guilows chipmonk, kk Lysander, kk Sopwith, kk Mustang, kk stuka, guillows spit and a larger guillows thunderbolt, for starters...

Must go and ask foreman about the scrap foam on the building site, they will only burn it.

Sorry, no jets but try vintage model company, the comet X2 scale would be good slope soarer me thinks...

Edited by Rich Griff

Looking on Banggood I see a 2s edf unit weighing 21.8g and 30mm diameter with a thrust of over 7ozs so maybe it's possible, given a very light airframe.  

QF1611 14000KV
Vlotage: 7.4V
Amps(A): 19.3
Watts(W): 142.82
Thrust(g): 215
Thrust(oz): 7.58
Efficiency(g/W): 1.51
Efficiency(oz/W): 0.05
Throttle: 100%
ESC: 20A

It can indeed be done.

The original plan for a Jetex Vampire.

OrigPlanS.jpg.9549668cb4ba10b16a61bb1abe604a1e.jpg

The modified airframe to house a 40 mm EDF before tissue covering.

Airframe1.JPG.99ca10ef7bce6b024287a98f37486656.JPG

Much of the stiffening was required as with the EDF, battery and servos it ended up weighing just over twice as much as the original Jetex version.

Complete2.JPG.c2d78c051bdc5921512492db97d82908.JPG

It only just about flew and because of its landing speed it was pretty delicate.

A true scale DH Venom at the same size and with the same EDF but built entirely from foam flies a great deal better and unlike tissue it does not go slack in damp  conditions.? 

• 3 months later...

Sorry, I only just found this.

There's an obvious answer to the OP.

While converting the small KK and Guillows kits might be a challenge without scaling up, Phil Smith's sticks and tissue Veron kits would be great (being a bit larger).

The Veron La17, Sabre and FD2 would be great EDF fliers. I'm sure it must have been done already.