EDF more power needed?

Den Moran

Hi, everyone!

I have a 70mm EDF Dynam Meteor, which is fine taking off on tarmac, but refuses on grass. I get the feeling that a little more power would do the trick, and am looking to use a more powerful motor. At present it is 4s, and has a 60amp esc, with a Detrum BM2827A-KV2600.

Any suggestions, please? 

Den

I would not recommend just changing the motor. You may use more power but you won't necessarily get a proportional increase in thrust.

Many of the more powerful units have the motor and fan dynamically balanced at the factory. The difference is remarkable.

It will come down to how much you want to spend on achieving a grass take off performance.

44 minutes ago, Simon Chaddock said:

Den

I would not recommend just changing the motor. You may use more power but you won't necessarily get a proportional increase in thrust.

Many of the more powerful units have the motor and fan dynamically balanced at the factory. The difference is remarkable.

It will come down to how much you want to spend on achieving a grass take off performance.

I changed the motor and esc, and it made a considerable difference.

The fan came balanced perfectly and is whisper quiet.

Speed flea clocked it 120mph from straight and level.

Its a Habu copy and flies on rails!.

• Like 1

I see what you mean about expense!

I will probably go for a 6s version, though, although I have a 5s battery here ( Ron), and may try that first - it's just a very little extra power that's needed! Thanks everyone, will update this after I get a chance to fly it ( G knows when!) Den, Abertawe.

10 minutes ago, Den Moran said:

I see what you mean about expense!

I will probably go for a 6s version, though, although I have a 5s battery here ( Ron), and may try that first - it's just a very little extra power that's needed! Thanks everyone, will update this after I get a chance to fly it ( G knows when!) Den, Abertawe.

Den - since your model flies well off tarmac, is there any chance you could try with just slightly larger wheels? Sounds like an upgrade in power is probably the way to go, but as a very low cost test  slightly larger wheels might get you in the air, at which point you said the model flies well.