Examiners 2022 and beyond.

I am in that " 24 years ago + " catagory, which is why I consider myself a tyro, a beginer , again, which is why I did the RCC.

If I can pass it then anyone can, it ain't rocket science.

If when I join a club again I have to re take an A, so be it, no problem, happy to oblige.

In fact I look forward to it.

• Like 1

I am looking to acquire Club Instructor this year following on to Approved instructor at a later date.

I know this thread is for examiners, and as a club member I fully appreciate the effort put in by the examiners, I am quite happy to see what I see as a proper ratification  process being implemented.

However, during my research into what is required for the above I have found areas where the BMFA and their website has a little catching up of their own to do.

As an example...

https://bmfa.org/News/News-Page/ArticleID/2581/Important-Notice-to-all-BMFA-Examiners-instructors-and-achievement-scheme-test-candidates-Mandatory-Questions-Updated

This still shows questions relating to CAP658, I know it says above the questions that they relate to tests after 1st May 2019 but still needs to be updated as this is now out of date even though it is still "after 1st May 2019".

Please bare in mind, that this is a hobby, it is not work. 

All those who implement the scheme, or support the hobby, do it for free, because they want to contribute, make life to onerous, well you can guess what could happen.

Because one person of some age likes this or that, does not mean all do. There will be many who have or will not bother, we will not hear from many.

The update to the scheme seems in most respect sensible. Gold plating everything IMO should be avoided. 

Being honest, there comes a point where I will focus on my other hobbies and be happy. We have come a lomg way from there eill be little to no impact on yhe hobby. Much could not be avoided, just remember that seeking perfect, could kill the hobby, including the UK model trade, by unintended consequences.

Again, their is merit in much of the new arrangements.

1 hour ago, Andy Gates said:

I am looking to acquire Club Instructor this year following on to Approved instructor at a later date.

I know this thread is for examiners, and as a club member I fully appreciate the effort put in by the examiners, I am quite happy to see what I see as a proper ratification  process being implemented.

However, during my research into what is required for the above I have found areas where the BMFA and their website has a little catching up of their own to do.

As an example...

https://bmfa.org/News/News-Page/ArticleID/2581/Important-Notice-to-all-BMFA-Examiners-instructors-and-achievement-scheme-test-candidates-Mandatory-Questions-Updated

This still shows questions relating to CAP658, I know it says above the questions that they relate to tests after 1st May 2019 but still needs to be updated as this is now out of date even though it is still "after 1st May 2019".

That was a news article published in April 2019 so of course it has now out of date. If you  relied on articles published in the BMFA News at that time they would similarly be out of date. But in both cases they should be preserved as a mater of historic record.  

There have been many references since then to the dedicated BMFA Achievements Website that has all the up to date information.

https://achievements.bmfa.uk

in there you will find the Approved Instructor Guidance.

• Like 1

My own view Andy is that at most clubs I have experience of has 3 or at best 4 lads, who do all of the work, all of the time, year after year.

The central hub of the very small group of workers should be the Chairman, but is more often the Secretary does the bulk of the load, so, with his finger on the pulse, he then ratifies the lot. 

Edited by Denis Watkins

47 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

The question has been asked in our club about ratification of examiners which runs like this...

How can the secretary of a club be the arbiter of an examiner's competency when he only has an A of possibly not even any achievement scheme pass.

The secretary of the club isn't the arbiter, he is the messenger, it should be something that is discussed by the committee just as they would discuss who a potential examiner candidate would be before putting them forward to be assessed as an examiner.

• Like 2