Connector for wing with multiple servos

Andy J

I use Maxloc or the Nexus type as the din one's IMO are not rated for the current, tricky to solder and mine (I didn't build the model) has no means of locking them together.

PS - don't forget to make one wing a male plug and the other a female so you can't plug the wrong one into the fuselage loom.

9 hours ago, Andy Gates said:

If your radio has the facility, how about using sbus?

You have me wondering how that would work on a plane with 4 servos in fuselage (throttle, rudder, elevator, elevator) and three in each wing (flap, aileron, retract) plus a light in each wingtip.

Assuming the servos in the fuselage remain attached to the receiver, does it require 2 sbus decoders (one for each wing) plus 3 sbus servos in each wing (or sbus to non-sbus  decoders), providing two connections to he rx to be made when assembling the plane ? 

Good to see all the multiway connector solutions here. Another approach that I've found useful on a couple of models is simply to put one receiver in the fuselage and another in the wing, so you only need a power connection between the two. Clearly this can become a bit expensive for multi-piece wings!

15 hours ago, Martin McIntosh said:

Wing connectors 001.jpg

Wing connectors 002.jpg

Wing connectors 003.jpg

soldering 004.jpg

soldering 021_800x600.jpg

soldering 020_800x600.jpg

Nice system, but good look fitting that in the wing root of an F3X glider! I personally use Mpx connectors and "potted" with hot glue they have always proved very reliable for me, no failures in over 15 years of use. I agree they aren't the easiest to solder, but few RC connectors are and once you get the hang of it I never seem to forget!

Edit - For a really neat job you can use the Winkler moulds available from T9 - pricey but they do give a very consistent result...

Plugmold Mould Tools For Electrical Connectors

mpx%20mould%205.jpg

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Do you just use hot glue with these moulds or is there a better option?  I've soldered a lot of XT60 plugs and sockets and relied on the heat shrink to relieve the stress on the solder joint. Can't say I've ever had a problem after many operations, perhaps because both joint and wire are rather more substantial than servo connection ones.

9 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Assuming the servos in the fuselage remain attached to the receiver, does it require 2 sbus decoders (one for each wing) plus 3 sbus servos in each wing (or sbus to non-sbus  decoders), providing two connections to he rx to be made when assembling the plane ? 

Fuselage servos connected to the Rx - correct.

2 sbus decoders (one for each wing) - correct.

3 sbus servos ? Not necessary - normal servos can be used depending on the sbus decoder in use.

2 connections to the Rx when assembling the plane - not necessarily as I believe sbus decoders can be daisy chained so you could join the decoders in the wings as the wings are put together leaving 1 connection to the Rx

1 hour ago, Martin McIntosh said:

Puzzled. Why would you want to use a MPX connector for those apparently HD cables?  

If you buy a Multiplex model you'll see in the instructons they often show a 6 pin green connector being used on a lipo. Why I'm not sure - it must be more long winded to solder and it can't have the same contact area as a dedicated power type plug (XT60, EC3 etc) has (they are only rated to 35A). I can only assume Mpx want to sell more of their own connectors!

Edited by MattyB

Just now, David P Williams said:

Oooh, looks just like this Frsky hobby ?. You’re supposed to cluster the three pins on each side to pos and neg.

image.png.eb6fa22f318e4d6371662b873989be14.png

Yes, that was another hilarious Frsky own goal - they were so busy copying Jeti they forgot to check whether or not the connectors were the best option for the global market. They had also only half finished the firmware at initial release with predictable results… ?

Ive just bought these for my turbine powered f86.  They will trap between fus and wing for aileron & flap and will align as wing inserted.  Intentions are common up both servos +ve on 2 pins,  same on -ve and 2 connector pins for each servo signal.  Cables ends then buried in epoxy blocks (shape formed by tape).    

Pelikan MPX 8 Pin Wing Connector 1M71285

Edited by dave windymiller

If you look at Nick’s original photo with the benefit of hindsight, you can see it is the same. 

I suppose some work with a scalpel tip could allow you to release and rearrange the servo connector pins to use them for 4 servos/retracts and leave a pair for a light feed.

Although a little less convenient than a simple plug in solution, this allows you to use the original plugs without having to re-crimp or solder any connections. 

On 30/11/2021 at 17:30, Andy Gates said:

Fuselage servos connected to the Rx - correct.

2 sbus decoders (one for each wing) - correct.

3 sbus servos ? Not necessary - normal servos can be used depending on the sbus decoder in use.

2 connections to the Rx when assembling the plane - not necessarily as I believe sbus decoders can be daisy chained so you could join the decoders in the wings as the wings are put together leaving 1 connection to the Rx

SBUS to 3x PWM adapter:

spacer.png

you can connect multiple daisy-chained/Y-leaded, but you do need a widget to set the channel mappings:

spacer.png

ie Rx channel x to decoder servo output y

if you were so inclined you could probably make a split power/signal wiring harness, but if you needed that you would probably have the space for a few extra connectors.  ?