Heated jacket

John Minchell

I have a motorcycle heated inner jacket which I would like to use when flying so I don't freeze over the winter.  I have a number of 3 cell lipo packs which would be nearly 12volts straight off charge and could power the jacket.  How and what do I make up, to be able to work out how long each pack will power the jacket before becoming too far discharged and would it be possible to to utilise a controller of some sort to vary the heat down and up.  The jacket is 35watts at 12volts when plugged into the bike accessory power feed.  I make that nearly 3amps current draw.  Whatever I make or buy, it has to be portable and fit into a pocket along with the LiPo.  Any and all help from the electrical wizards on here will be much appreciated.

John M

Luxury...I relay on porriage and being well wrapped up.

I have an out of date immersion suit for biking and handle bar muffs, even get tooo hot sometimes in winter weather.

I use the suit and half fingerless gloves for winter sloping, but the hike for the car/bike to the slope can generate a hot of heat.

Lipo alarms are available that bleep a warning/flash an led etc when voltage approaches minimum - they plug into the balance lead, use them on my 'leccy helis. Got mine for a few quid from HK but must be available elsewhere. Search Ebay - plenty available.

My remedy for cold/damp/muddy flying conditions is to stay at home - spent a couple of hours gardening over the weekend and got chilled to the bone, just can't stand about over a freezing cold winter flying field these days and dressing up like the Michelin Man doesn't really float my boat.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Haha 1

I have a pair of heated gloves which have small 2200S1 Lipo in the back of the glove.  They come with a charger There is a button on the back of  each glove with three heat settings.

Not cheap but boy are they good. Get them from Amazon.  They are called "Intelligent Heat"

I would not want to fly with them on but  take them off to fly  and put them back on afterwards.