T31M build log

As a perennial "glider guider" and principally slope, encompassing sport, scale and PSS I now find myself with flat field flying as my only option. On paper Peter's T31M fulfils all my new found requirements in being a scale glider, but with a motor and of a size that should suit my smallish airfield.

I bought the laser cut kit, wood pack and plans from Sarik Hobbies and sourced the remaining bits from multiple sources to give me the following specification:

4-Max P0-3547-800 brushless motor

13 x 6 wooden prop

YEP 40A ESC

2200 3S LiPo

Hi-Tec HS-81 servos for ailerons, elevator and rudder

HobbyKing micro servos for air brakes

The construction of this, to me, looks more like a powered model than a glider so it'll be a bit of a learning curve with undercarriages, steerable tailwheels and dummy engines all unfamiliar territory. I also intend deviating from the plan a little by mounting the aileron servos outboard in the wings, moving the rudder servo under the cockpit and utilising a ball link connector for what will be a removable tailplane ( the accompanying photo should explain).

I've started by separating the laser cut parts from the sheet to make a "kit", laying everything out on the plan to understand the construction and will be using Peter's magazine article as a build guide. I have also knocked up a motor mount incorporating the required side and down thrust.

Kit of parts:

IMG_1320.thumb.jpeg.616debcf85ce690bd51688fe162b4026.jpeg

Motor mount:

IMG_1323.thumb.jpeg.f788880dfef9d50d8924bdc2603afcd4.jpeg

Proposed elevator linkage, this will be inside the fuselage rather than the outboard ones in the original design:

IMG_1322.thumb.jpeg.cef3a843d294e0eb3ec15c5770a302d8.jpeg

I've made a start on the fuselage sides, this will be followed by the forming of the undercarriage and wing supports, not a job I'm looking forward to!

• Like 1

It is amazing how people seem to think that every model has to incorporate has to incorporate side and down thrust.

I have a very simple question. Does the full size have side and down thrust?

People tell me that you need side thrust to counteract torque.  In that case I suggest that they fit a working rudder. I have seen piston engined fighters with off set fins but never offset engines.

Of course If you are building a free flight model that is different,Possibly!

The article is in RCME Feb 2010  page 90 says " don't forget to build in the side and downthrust..." 

The peril of the digital archives is it's always there!   That is if you are a subscriber!

Edited by kc

.  I am now more puzzled that ever. You see I designed two T31Ms.  The first was for a speed 400 motor published in Flying Scale models A Model of G-BOOD. I have just been looking at this plan.

Then I designed and built a model f the SAME aircraft of an OS 40 FS. The ne with the Speed 600 motor has 2 degrees f down thrust and NO side thrust.

The second puzzle was that the section of cowling shown  was nothing like like my cowl which covered an inline engine with no bulges n the sides and no visible engine.

I have now solved the mystery. You are building the Keith HUmber version. NOT Mine.

For some reason my filing system has let me down and while I can find the FSM article and plan and I can't find the OS powered one at the moment

Sarik are crediting this design to you Peter (see link). It does have a flat 4 engine and the (albeit small) picture of the plan and cutaway of the model matches what Steven is building.

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/slingsby-t31m-plan/

Is it possible you have designed this one too? It look like it was published in the Feb 2010 RCM&E and I thought Keith Humber contributed to RC Model World predominantly?

Steve, the topic originator will be able to help solve this condundrum by posting a pic of the designers name on the plan. He has already stated though that the design has been credited to Peter Miller and from what I can see from the plan pics, it's definitely drawn in the RCM&E house style. That makes me think it is one of your designs Peter, but no wish to get into an argument and happy to be proved wrong.

It's also possible I guess that the RCM&E draughtsperson has added the thrustline offsets because they think 2 degrees right and 2 degrees down is some kind of standard. Which would be a naughty assumption on their part, whoever designed the plan!

Its not mine! It's Steve the original posters plan. I am simply saying that you have designed more than one variant of the T31. the image you posted was a plan you did for ADH/Doolittle or whatever they were called then.

The plan under discussion here was done for RCM&E. Interstingly, the blurb with the plan says this, which suggest that whioever designed it (Sarik are saying it was Peter Miller) had previously designed and electric version and one powered by on OS40 four stroke. Sounds familiar!).

"So much for full-size history, then; what’s the background to this model? Well, several years ago I built a 73” span electric-powered T31M for an acquaintance who flew gliders and vintage models but wanted something a little more advanced. It was a lovely model to fly and inspired me to build one for myself around an old pre-Surpass O.S. FS40. I based my model on G-BSHM (now PH1121) because I liked the look of the angular front deck and its colour scheme. The result is a model that’s accurate in most respects, save for a couple of omissions: I wasn’t sure whether ‘HM has the spoilers that are fitted to some T31Ms, so I didn’t put any on the model – which makes the build easier, of course – and the cowl has been simplified slightly by omitting the bump that hides the self-starter.

Building the model is quite straightforward – very much like a vintage design, in fact – indeed the only area that calls for care and great accuracy is the strut assembly and wing mounting, but we’ll come to that in the fullness of time."