T31M build log

If you are an RCME subscriber then the archive copies of many years are available online and now you use the same login as for this forum.  So the Feb 2010 issue is available and this article starts on page 88.    Interestingly it shows a photo of the (perhaps earliest use? ) of the Miller 'keyhole ' slotted screw cowl fixing now used on most Peter Miller designs.   It also shows a photo of the tapered ply wedge under the engine mount giving the side and downthrust.

Another confusing thing is that Sarik list it as 47inch which normally means the span, but for this model the span is 86 inch and the fuselage is shown as 47 inch long.  

Edited by kc

20 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

it is my plan

Peter that is good news for me as I bought this earlier in the Sarik sale. I should have it in a couple of weeks. I have some questions but they can wait as my memory is not as good as it used to be and I will probably forget the answer and maybe that I had even asked the question. 'there's no joy in getting old' as my Dad says. ?

32 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

@Stephen Belshaw any progress? I am particularly interested in how the battery will be accommodated to achieve the CofG.

Not got far enough in with the build to fine tune battery placement but will hopefully update later with current state of build. I'm working on the assumption that as Peter's prototype was designed and built around IC our EP versions will be nose light which I'm hoping can be addressed with battery/equipment placement and very little if any lead.

But, as mentioned in my OP, I'm coming from a glider background so somewhat in unfamiliar territory!

• Thanks 1

Two fuselage sides completed, very straightforward, one built on the plan and the other built on top whilst leaving the original in place:

IMG_1332.thumb.jpeg.03e5ef04b876c101446db1a8da29ee23.jpeg

The next job was to form the undercarriage and wing supports from 8swg wire, these need to be added to F2 and F3 before the formers are glued in place. This was the first time I'd attempted such heavy duty bending, a fair amount of trial and error resulted in wasting wire but I finally settled on reasonably accurate knowing I can fettle the formers and bend the wire a little when all is in situ:

IMG_1330.thumb.jpeg.20f9f0a2dd43b6335ddfec4cae2acf33.jpeg

This is the tool I used for the job, I found it very hard to judge exactly where to place the wire in the bender to get the correct position of the radius, experience is everything with this job I think:

IMG_1334.thumb.jpeg.99b88f64e1898741513c7f74e87f387d.jpeg

Next was to attach the strut mounting points to F2 and F3, made up of clevises bound and soldered in place:

IMG_1331.thumb.jpeg.a2d576f41a181e2b284fa9dfff2b52ff.jpeg

Thinking a little further ahead about where and how to locate the battery, it just squeezes between F1 and F2 and would drop in through the removable cockpit floor. However I think because of the enclosed and confined space I think it might be difficult to then strap it in place which would leave me relying only on velcro. That's assuming of course that the battery needs to go all the way forward, which I think it will. Located further aft would be much simpler:

IMG_1333.thumb.jpeg.91b5c1bce89e82fb43adcd20bb90bf9d.jpeg

• Like 2

It looks as though the Lipo might be able to go in vertically behind F1 which might improve the CG situation.   Otherwise consider using an open ended box arrangement with a Lipo size hole in F1 instead of the adjustable bolts to allow the Lipo to go almost up to the motor.   Or much wider spaced bolts to achieve the same thing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Peter Miller said:

Looking very good.

I have a very good tool for wire bending which is similar to yours. but it still takes practice .

I would imagine that your battery could go in at an angle sloping down towards the bottom of F-2.

I was thinking that Peter, once I've got the fuselage together I can jiggle around and figure out what works.

More thoughts on the battery placement. The original idea I had of accessing through the cockpit floor is not going to be practical, it would necessitate removing the wings to gain access which means taking off four struts, disconnecting servo leads and then unscrewing the cockpit floor. Far too much faff so I'm looking at alternative options:

Option 1

The original design powered by IC utilises Peter's "patented" slot screw cowl removal method, ease the cowl slightly upward, pull forward and "et voila" off it comes. I could stick with this and move the battery forward through F1, making a snug fitting box behind FI and extending the floor of the box through F1 to give me a projecting tongue to strap the battery down to:

IMG_1335.thumb.jpeg.36842603f296301ef49b829e73d8c416.jpeg

I would need to cut out access through F1:

IMG_1336.thumb.jpeg.658c70b2616f873b95106ed1545ecbbc.jpeg

Option 2

This idea was mentioned earlier in the thread, put the battery vertical up against F1. This would mean dispensing with the removable cowl and cutting a hatch between F1 and just in front of the windscreen but it would be a very tight fit:

IMG_1338.thumb.jpeg.958b785bcd76ae7049807b50b974730f.jpeg

IMG_1337.thumb.jpeg.ed2ac9db66a3ff1677d14137f132b194.jpeg

Option 3

A variation on option 2, angling the battery backwards to give a little more room for manoeuvre:

IMG_1339.thumb.jpeg.adaf59619deaf0749872ddca1bb99d98.jpeg

The cowling, as drawn on the plan, is quite rounded so limiting the available space. I am modelling mine on G-BZLK which has a more angular nose and should give me a little more to play with. The flat front is also slotted which will help with the cooling: 

988805499_G-BZLK2.thumb.jpeg.9f5138c67b945f2ad99294055a9ded73.jpeg

1910672315_G-BZLKEngine.jpeg.934dc28461b49ae4717efe295caeb586.jpeg

Option 1 would require removing the prop for a battery change, option 2 would be a simpler swap but the space available looks very tight. Option 3 is a simple swap and has no problem with space but does it get the battery far enough forward?

How about sloping the battery from the top of F-1 down towards the bottom of F-2. It can rest on a sloping plate which could have Velcro on it to match a patch of Velcro on the battery.

In the event of  a nasty the battery could just slide forward over the top of F-1.  That has been proved in practice many years ago

• Like 1