DX6 Throttle and spolier switching

Shaun Walsh

I have an electric RES glider and I want to program my Spektrum DX6 Gen 2 to do the following:

Motor arming switch on: throttle stick controls motor, spoiler remains closed.

Motor arming switch off: Motor off, throttle stick controls spoiler.

Has anyone done this or does anyone have suggestions about how to set it up?

I used to do something similar when flying Spektrum DX9 (I now use Jeti) using the following principles:

Use 'Aircraft' type, not 'Sailplane'

Assign your throttle stick to both the motor & the spoilers. If the DX6 does not allow this mix motor to spoiler 100% to achieve the same thing.

Set up 2 or 3 flight modes (you could use your motor arming switch but a 3 position switch is better):

• On one flight mode inhibit the motor by adding throttle cut or reducing the movement to zero at -100% sub trim: 'Landing'
  • On the second flight mode inhibit the spoilers by reducing their movement to zero at -100% sub trim: 'Launch'
  • Consider adding a 3rd flight mode where both motor & spoiler are inhibited : 'Cruise'. The throttle stick here does nothing & can be positioned wherever you want before selecting Launch or Landing. The advantage of this it enables you to transition between Launch & Landing without the motor or spoiler suddenly moving to wherever the throttle stick happens to be.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

OK, managed to achieve what I wanted to do.

Created a mix between the throttle and Aux1 (spoiler servo.

By playing around with the settings it is now set up so that with the motor cut off activated, the throttle controls the spoiler, with the motor cut off deactivated the throttle controls the motor. Switching from spoiler to motor automatically lowers the spoiler if it is raised.