Aerobic Sr

Peter Miller

Searching for inspiration I decided to do an enlarged Aerobic.

This was a model based on the American Fun Fly models that I first introduced back in the 80s. Aerobic was a very small version of the type powered by a Cox Pee Wee and later a Cox TD020.  

Maybe someone remembers my Fan Dancer in Radio Modeller which was very similar but much bigger.

Aerobic was 22" span and the current design is 1 1/2 times the size for electric power.

Aerobic_oz11769.pdf

Could the battery and ESC strap to the fuselage in front of the LE?

Reinforced with1/32 ply either side with slots for the straps to go through?

At this size there will be no need to take it apart for transport, as I found with your Swizzle Stick (40") and very low rates will turn it into a docile fun model.

• Like 1

Sounds like the 'observational approach' I was taught many moons ago. The boss was not well pleased when some whit said 'it's trial and error then'. It is but with a scientific element thrown in. The room filled with laughter, I am sure to this day the boss could not see the joke.

Anyway Peter you are making me think of trying a profile fuselage with servos near the tail. ? But I have plenty to do although I like the idea of an easy build low cost fun model.  

I have an original kit produced shortly after the plan came out. I think it is "The Miniature Aircraft Factory"

Yes It will be trial and error as the original used a simple small engine so only one "lump" to consider.  I shall build the tail and flaps and then see how the balance starts to look.

With any luck the suggestion of strapping it on the fuselage side (Which I had not considered) might save a lot of fiddling

Yes,  I introduced the American Fun Fly models in the  80s via my "Engine Bay Column"  plus reviewing a couple of American kits.

Aerobic came out in Radio Modeller in about 1992 or so..

Radio Control Model World.
  I did a full size one called Fan Dancer in Radio Modeller.

I just thought that a slightly larger electric powered version might be interesting

I thought the Aerobic was probably in an RCME Special edition called flying for fun or something similar.

Anyway nobody should confuse this Aerobic with the kit called Aerobik ( with a K ) which was unusual because it had a 4 four wheel undercarriage.

Peter, which of the 4Max package deals have you chosen for this model? 

Of course it is in RM Nov 93 and I have found the magazine now.   I also came across the magazine with the larger 46 inch Fan Dancer free plan in RM Nov 91.

The 4Max 1400 kv package deal is here and to me this motor is better than some other 4Max motors because it has the shaft out front and the X mount at back.  No fiddling cutting off the shaft or having it protrude into battery bay.    To those who hate soldering the best bit of this package may be that all the connectors seem to be already soldered on including a Deans type plug on the ESC.

Edited by kc

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after a long time I have got some more to show.  This has been an interesting design operation as I have had to work out the radio installation on the model as it is being built.

First picture shows the parts all built

Second picture shows the top of the wing. Two servo cutouts and the hatch on the left is for the Rx while the one on the right is for the satellite 

Third picture shows the under side. This open area is to allow the servo lead and satellite lead to be threaded through to the Rx.

Fourth picture shows the ESC mount.

fifth picture shows the battery location.

NOTE hatches over Rx etc and access hatch will simply be covered with iron on covering.  Simple,lighter and quicker.

Weight at this stage including the motor is 9 ounces

DSC02222.JPG

DSC02223.JPG

DSC02224.JPG

DSC02225.JPG

DSC02226.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well it is finished and ready to test when the wind drops to civilised levels and the temperature rises above freezing and the mud dries out enough to cross to the field without bogging down.

DSCF4946.thumb.JPG.7fab1f9bcee97e28c91df43a14373cc0.JPG

33" span  a bit over 2 sq feet of area. Weighs just over 16 ounces

DSCF4945.thumb.JPG.e32e4b628013893e0890f1aba66b1ca4.JPG

This view shows the battery location

DSCF4947.thumb.JPG.fd4ba991dda0f23c4291474b4f7dc72f.JPG

This shows the ESC mounting.Plenty of cooling there

DSCF4948.thumb.JPG.f89106475b0afa509f643ccf7ab6a1db.JPG

The control set up is simple and possibly crude but it works.

Power train is one of the £25 complete packages from4 Max

Yellow panels are simply covering film covering the access to the Rx and satellite rx

Hey, I managed to set out the pictures properly!!

DSCF4944.JPG

• Like 3