Film: "Ships with Wings"

Romeo Whisky

There's a film called "Ships with Wings" on at 1.20pm on the TalkingPictures channel today.  It's set in the wartime Fleet Air Arm and although the film storyline is tripe, it contains some rare footage of Fairey Fulmars and Blackburn Skuas, as well as Swordfish.  The Fulmar and Skua in particular are rarely-modelled aircraft.

Just took a peek at the film on Talking Pictures' internet catchup channel. Yes, the film is a real shocker, awful stilted dialogue and storyline but the flying sequences and real action are worth a look. Some of these old British wartime films are so bad that they are actually quite good, if you see what I mean but oh dear, not this one. Quite a few well known names from the time do appear but must have been pressed into the job I should think. Can't quite get over seeing Cecil Parker (complete with English public school accent) as a German Officer and Dad's Army's Pte Fraser as an ancient looking pilot even in 1941!

I do watch Talking Pictures a fair bit and they come up with good films that are worth a watch from time to time. Quite a few rare aviation type documentaries as well.

27 minutes ago, Basil said:

One thing about these old films, they dont have the constant use of the 'F' word (And others). I am not a prude by any means but most times its not needed.

Bas

Yes, agree it's very tiresome and boring. The otherwise excellent TV series Wolf Hall was spoilt by the foul language.

One of my clubs has a rule that says that foul language must not be used at the club site. We did have one chap who had to be picked up over it but mostly you won't hear anything other than occasionally when a model rekits itself. I guess any of us can be excused for a moment's lack of composure when a few hundred quids' worth of model goes in.