Elastic Bands; Wing retention.

Basil

PatMc. I have found it does more so on glider types flown where the landing site can be rough. Catch a wingtip on a tuft or something and there is a lot of leverage at the bolt fixing. I find 4 bands enough on these lightweight [less than 5lb] models that are not flown in an aggressive manner, wing will twist out of square with fuselage enough to save damage most of the time.

Edited by J D 8
more info.

image.png.1b79f9a520c2336b39d546f31d025557.png

Something worth noting is the way the bands are put on.  The last example has no side force keeping the band (green) on the dowel (red) and relies on tension and dowel length only. Add a bit of slippery fuel residue and they can fly off too easily along with the wing. 

Edited by dave windymiller

I have experienced all the above observations so why no use springs. Springs will "give" and return to position. They will not deteriorate and available in many sizes. Ensure the load is not on a single point to evenly distribute the load on the balsa and use hard  wood. Another thing that deteriorates with ultra violet light is fibre glass resin. So keep that in the dark as well.

On 20/01/2022 at 09:47, EarlyBird said:

For 12" between the sticks I use 8". 

Flying two models with bands today. 12" chord Ugly Stik, 8" bands. Then the same 8" bands on Double Diamond which is about 15" chord and then the sticks are nearly 4" below the wing. Because 8" are the biggest I have and DD is tough.

• 2 months later...

Diagonally crossed bands are less likely to come off in a cartwheel, so are more likely to result in damage to the leading and trailing edges.  Parallel bands do come off so protect the model better.
Diagonal bands put their load on the thickest part of the chord at the dihedral beak, whereas straight ones do so outboard of the fuselage side, so they support the wing better too.
If you are concerned about the bands sliding off before you want them to, then your dowels should be longer.