Flight simulator using a linux based laptop

Bill Wood

Does anyone know of a model flight simulator that will work on a linux based laptop and ubuntu or with google chrome?  I got fed up with windows and ditched it last year. My old version of Real Flight only worked with windows and probably the same goes for newer versions of Real Flight.  Has anyone used a model flight sim on a linux platform or with google chrome?

13 hours ago, Bill Wood said:

Does anyone know of a model flight simulator that will work on a linux based laptop and ubuntu .........

I am a long term user of Linux based operating systems. Last time I looked at this was a couple of years ago. At that time the answer to an RC sim native on Linux effectively was no. The road I went down was to run MS Windows (10 in my case) in a virtual machine, i.e. a simulated PC. This means Linux is the operating system, no dual boot, with Windows 10 as the 'guest' OS. I implemented the virtual machine with KVM (Kernel Virtual Machine), virt-manager under Debian (from which Ubuntu is derived).

Like Dick, I am running PicaSim. Looking back, I can't remember the details of setting it up but there was a problem. My radio is FrSky. I found the FrSky wireless dongle does not work under Linux. I got no help with this from the dealer who supplied it or from FrSky via a forum so have to use PicaSim via a USB cable from PC to radio. Not what I wanted ideally. Before starting PicaSim, virt-manager has a facility to re-direct a USB port to the virtual machine. Another brand wireless dongle may behave better.

In short, I am running an RC sim under Linux, but not in a straight forward way.

• 5 months later...

Picasim works well under wine on linux, i've used it for years now since I gave up on Windows outside of work.

I believe I installed the latest version of Picasim under the current rev of wine. This was one of the first things I did when I was setting up  my "new" laptop.

On my old laptop I had to go back a few versions of picasim to find a version that worked with wine. 

It's been at least two years since I upgraded so the details are all a bit hazy, other than Picasim works perfectly on Linux Mint 20.

The information you need is on the picasim help pages.