Micro electric scale for a dummy?

Majikthyse

Hi folks, new here so I did my usual lurk through the posts but didn't sport anything matching my question. I am returning to the hobby after a very long time, so things have moved on technically. My interest is in small RC scale fixed wings, what are now apparently called park flyers. I am though bewildered by the choice of electronics. I have found a couple of sites that are supposed to calculate motor, prop, ESC and LiPo requirements, but they are not very helpful as I then have to find a supplier for those items. Their websites are also bewildering, with poor search facilities. Let me give you an example of what I'm looking for.

20" span warbird

68 sq " wing area

Bare airframe weight 2oz

4 channel - throttle, elevator, rudder, ailerons

Weight is a major issue. I have built another slightly smaller warbird, on 3 channel, and that comes out at 113g all up (sorry for mixing units!). Not flown it yet as waiting for better weather. Nervous, as it seems heavy to me. I don't expect you folks to calculate it all for me, just point me in the right direction please.

I have a loft half full of free flight models, which can now be converted to RC. ?

Les

Microaces supply a complete brushless power system and radio set up, all powered by a single 1S lipo;

https://microaces.myshopify.com/collections/brushless-electronics/products/microaces-brushless-1s-electronics-pack

I have one of these systems fitted in a 18" Jodel from the Vintage Model Company;

https://www.vintagemodelcompany.com/jodel-d-18.html

AUW is a shade over 2oz, and the model is cheerfully overpowered.

Is this type of thing you're looking for?

Tim

251625163_10160068372257137_7136180069921173189_n.jpg

261749804_10160118896987137_4204776660033577299_n.jpg

IMG_6555.JPG

IMG_6617.JPG

IMG_6583.JPG

• Like 5

Thanks guys, that's all very helpful. Yes I just want the electronics pack at the mo, although that Tempest does look lovely....

The Microaces pack may be a bit on the light side for the current model, a Sterling P47 that was originally CO2 powered. The smaller one, old KK Spitfire, has 90g thrust for 113g AUW. The P47 hopefully won't be much different in AUW if I can get a lighter elec pack, but I still think it will need around the same thrust. Anyway I now know who to ask for advice.

BTW I keep getting confused about Tx-Rx compatibility. My Tx is Turnigy i4X. Is that Spektrum, Futaba or Oversky compatible? Or do I only need to worry about the protocol?

1 hour ago, Majikthyse said:

My Tx is Turnigy i4X. Is that Spektrum, Futaba or Oversky compatible?

Any receiver using the AFHDS or AFHDS 2A protocol (FlySky, not to be confused with Frsky) will be compatible with the i4X. No clue how to switch between those.

Check out our friendly Asian suppliers searching on those protocols, they have some remarkably small/light receivers. Make sure these do have regular servo output pins though (sometimes referred to as PWM), some are combined signal streaming only.