BMFA 100 years....RCME mass build ?

Just to throw in my twopennuth - this is a 100 year anniversary. How about building a plane from 1922, the one that leaps to mind (well after trawling the net)  is the Bristol 'Lucifer', which won the 1922 London Air Race  - a conversion of the Bristol M1 monoplane. Sarik have a plan for the M1 but it would need customising for the 1922 Lucifer type:

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/bristol-m1-plan/

https://www.baesystems.com/en/heritage/bristol-77-m1d-monoplane

MB participants choose their own scale and powerso:

A scale model  -   100 years old   -   not too dificult to build   - vintage  eyecatching design  -  kit available  - for diesel or electric 

L L Carter winning the handicap section of the 1922 Aerial Derby

This was the only one I found to date to tick those boxes, I am sure there are many others out there waiting to be discovered.

• Like 2

I may chip in with a Guidato if I get the time. This is a model which I've always admired and it featured in the Radio Control section of the old Aeromodeller Plans Handbook. https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7378

It would make a good model for the first-time builder as pretty well everything is straight lines, though the wing structure is unnecessarily complicated. Nevertheless with the help of an experienced builder it would be an easy model for a beginner to both build and fly.

I intend to finish mine with an elevator and to power it by a small four-stroke engine.

My other choice would be Bob Wright's Flying Flea.

• Like 2

Hi everyone, I chair the BMFA's centenary planning group so it's great to see this thread develop. The hope of the planning group is that clubs, associations and informal groups will take the opportunity learn more about our history, encourage new folk to our sport and above all take the opportunity to celebrate model building and flying. I really look forward to seeing whatever model is chosen and hopefully flying en masse.

Great stuff.

Paul

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Hi everyone, I chair the BMFA's centenary planning group so it's great to see this thread develop. The hope of the planning group is that clubs, associations and informal groups will take the opportunity learn more about our history, encourage new folk to our sport and above all take the opportunity to celebrate model building and flying. I really look forward to seeing whatever model is chosen and hopefully flying en masse.

Great stuff.

Paul

Hi Paul, If you'd like to post anything regarding the Centenary in the section, please feel free to do so.

Mini Super is a Boddington design!   Well its a Bodddington smaller version of a Keil Kraft Super Sixty- then Boddingtons small version was changed a bit by KK when kitted.  Published in a magazine edited by David Boddington - Aviation Modeller International November 1996.    

Ticks all the boxes and the plan is free on Outerzone.

32 minutes ago, kevin b said:

I still like the idea of "build what you want, but put it on the thread"

Yes one of your kits would be good.

Then anyone up for a foam board build?

Slope model.

Thermal.

Control Line.

Free flight.

Single channel.

Old or new designs. I would be interested no matter what.

On 30/01/2022 at 17:27, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

Fantastic idea John! How about a tweak though, mass build followed by a mass launch across the country, on Sunday 15th May @ 12pm as part of the world record attempt??

I appreciate it is quite a tight deadline though.

To meet that deadline I would have to resort to a sheet of A4 folded into a chuckie paper dart.  ?

• Like 1

Involving kids would be a good idea, thru clubs or schools perhaps.

Also a cheap easy to make rubber powered model, schools have sports halls and playing fields these days ?

For us bigger kids, and since it's a centenary, perhaps a model for every year since the bmfa/smae was formed ?

I discovered a sheet plan for a "gasser" in the loft, and will be making an " aspin" converted to 2 channel control surfaces, with either diesel or electric power...hope to be made ready for summer...that's the plan anyway, subject to god's approval.

• Like 1