SFM (super flying models) SE5A

I haven't found any problems with any glue (aliphatic or cyano) glueing to the (usually) slightly scorched edges from laser cutting.  I do run a Permagrit sander down the edge to smooth out any remains of the uncut sections (the bit deliberately left to hold the parts in place) but that's all.

2 hours ago, Geoff S said:

I haven't found any problems with any glue (aliphatic or cyano) glueing to the (usually) slightly scorched edges from laser cutting.  I do run a Permagrit sander down the edge to smooth out any remains of the uncut sections (the bit deliberately left to hold the parts in place) but that's all.

Me too.  I usually use Gorilla wood glue now, especially on lite ply.  I think most of the SFM models are made of lite ply........

Is that the 'foaming' stuff ?  Cheaper versions can be bought at Screwfix (not sure you have those in your part of the world!).  I tend to use that to bond wood where I would previously have used epoxy.   Yes, as soon as you remove the lid, air/moisture gets in and it seems to start a slooooow setting process....

The Gorilla wood glue looks like PVA/ali and dries pretty clear.  Doesn't seem overly expensive and doesn't seem to go off - haven't had a bottle for long enough to tell tbh ? Biggest pain is decanting it into a bottle with a smaller 'spout' for glue delivery.

I'm also a fan of clear Gorilla tape.......

• 2 weeks later...

The kit looks very well designed from the pictures you've posted.  Whilst the manual may not be perfect the wood looks fine.  Would you recommend it so far?  It's some years since I built my Flair SE5a but that was definitely 'old school' compared to this from what I remember but did have a full size drawing (which, I think, I still have the tatty  remains)