Mini Super Belair Kits

EarlyBird

28 minutes ago, Peter Miller said:

I am only putting in a couple of hours a day

I am also only doing a couple of hours a day just to keep me sane. Finished pictures are good, this kind of log isn't mandatory just knowing others are building helps me to keep going, it does add interest to my day. ?

Steve

Steve,  I see that you will soon be making the parts that are 'stick' construction ( sticks as the americans say for strip constuction)   so I wonder if you have seen the tips on this on Andy Gates Magister thread?  In particular the link to PatMacs gadget might be worthwhile.   I found Andy's comments very worth reading.

Edited by kc

1 hour ago, kc said:

Steve,  I see that you will soon be making the parts that are 'stick' construction ( sticks as the americans say for strip constuction)   so I wonder if you have seen the tips on this on Andy Gates Magister thread?  In particular the link to PatMacs gadget might be worthwhile.   I found Andy's comments very worth reading.

Thanks kc a good link there. Parallax is something I recall from Physics "O" level.

Decision time, which I have been putting off.

IMG_20220220_082838.thumb.jpg.2a95fc9e6e1bff1e4cb8b1e1679e42cf.jpg

IMG_20220220_082932.thumb.jpg.012c39cdd5c20bee4206c29733562e32.jpg

To keep the prop in the designed position puts the motor mount 30 mm in front of F2.

Thinking as F2 is only half a former leave it in the design position and cut it down for a battery tray, steerable nose wheel mount. Which means making a 'coffin' motor mount battery tray, which I will look into. The motor shaft needs reversing unless it fits beneath the battery tray. This all means I can build the sides ? I forgot I need to decide where the tailplane will be located as my thinking is to move it up.

Steve

Why move the tailplane up?    Moving it up means one needs an elevator joiner ( I hate them! ) while if it's left low just a chamfer off the rudder ( or fuselage) clears the elevator on this model.   A central pushrod could then be used for elevator for really positive control.  Simple is better?

I'd stick with the tailplane mounted below - & use a peg or ply tongue at the front with single 3mm screw fixing near the TE. No reason the tailplane position makes any difference to the rudder length, though I don't see the point in increasing it, it's more than adequate as is.  

Progress

IMG_20220221_101026_HDR.thumb.jpg.d9b6c8b80ad2a0b435d33e414a6ca98c.jpg

Just started the diagonals, not as easy as the uprights. The first three bays are infilled as shown on the plan so I was going to glue the frame then infill with the 3/16" balsa sheet but I thought I could glue the uprights to the sheets first then glue them in place. 

I have just checked my Super 60 and it's tailplane is glued to the bottom with full one piece elevator and pushrod in the centre of the fuselage, as kc described.

Steve

22 minutes ago, kc said:

If you decide on low tailplane then you might as well build in a slight chamfer to the lower fuselage to enable maximum elevator movement.

I am starting to think I should build the tailplane low as the plan, easier that way as I don't have to make a decision. Tail dragger and steerable tail wheel also but that decision can wait.

Steve