Mini Super Belair Kits

EarlyBird

I'm with you john which means moving the fin and rudder back 25 mm and shortening the fuselage to move the tail post forward 25 mm that way the fin rudder join lines up with the tailplane elevator join. Then I can move the tailplane up, have a steerable tail wheel and full depth rudder. In other words it gives me all the options, if I want to. More importantly I can continue with the build.

The Ohmen will taxi with a tail skid Swizzle Stick won't and I feel embarrassed when older people than me offer to go retrieve my model. I want to avoid that happening by making it steerable, I like the independence that steerable gives me and it makes me happy therefore adds to the fun. ? Having said that I could fit a skid just to see if it will taxi, my curious nature drives me to experiment.?

?

Steve

I would suggest that you keep the tailplane in the same position, it's part of the character of this model. Moving things around and redesigning the back end makes it a different model in my eyes.

I put a castoring tailwheel on a Wot4 some years ago - it was a nightmare! Maybe my rudder skills weren't very good back then but it was almost impossible to keep in a straight line on take-off. I fixed it by adding a 2nd bracing wire which allowed the leg to flex a bit so I could steer it on the ground without the model getting away from me.

19 hours ago, Nick Cripps said:

Moving things around and redesigning the back end makes it a different model in my eyes.

Yes it does Nick and I understand the desire to build to the plan and maintain the character. Every model I build is a step forward in my ultimate goal of designing and building my own models, to maximise the lessons learned I experiment by modifying the design. Unfortunately by doing this I do end up with a different model which is sad but as I am compelled by my nature to experiment the consequences are something I have learned to live with. 

My changes so far are going electric, adding ailerons, reducing the dihedral to 1/4" under the last rib and modifying the tail. Will it fly with so many changes is the question we will all have answered eventually. Getting it to the flight line is fun, making changes adds to the fun and if it flies well then for me the fun is maximised, once I have got over the shock that is ??

Steve

Having made the decision the tailplane is moved up with a slot for it to be inserted.

IMG_20220223_080149_HDR.thumb.jpg.aebc2c68027a379d1a363555a2503738.jpg

and this is how the fin and rudder will fit, with the possibility of extending the rudder down.

IMG_20220223_080332_HDR.thumb.jpg.a038aa9270160f0d71b93652c4b210d9.jpg

Looking at that makes me think a split elevator and full depth rudder would be best and a steerable tailwheel will be easy.

Yes I am making it up as I go along.?

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks for the support Peter it's appreciated.

Yesterday I convinced myself I was building the wrong model 'well that's tough' I thought. I have started so I will finish.

The left side of the fuselage is finished so I turned it over placed a sheet of plastic on top and started the right side.

IMG_20220224_113121_HDR.thumb.jpg.15792fee51c2fa3b08bd779b2112ced2.jpg

Just the tricky diagonals to make then it will be glue time again. ?

Steve

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

I have a question EB, is the tail set at same angle now you have raised it, you've not altered the angle have you ?

Yes I moved it up parallel to maintain the same incidence. The tailplane incidence and relative wing incidence are very important and must be built as the plan. Interestingly I usually look for a reference line but on this one there isn't an obvious one going from front to back but the uprights are all parallel and at right angles to the cabin windowsill and floor. The tailplane is the same, at right angles to the uprights. Whereas the wing seat has a slight positive incidence. So working on the basis that the designer knew more than me this is one thing I will never change. Well I might once I have test flown the model. 

John, Have I convinced you to do the same? ???

• Like 1

Wasn't clear to me either so I had to double check before I started cutting and gluing. I think it's the bottom sloping up made me double check. Looks good for a sunny day on Sunday.

Thanks Nick it looks like we are both ahead of the field.

Do you fancy any of those cut parts?

Steve

17 hours ago, Nick Cripps said:

There are 1 or 2 which appeal but looking at my stack of half-built models, let alone the unstarted kits, I think I've probably got enough for now.

Thanks for the thought anyway.

I learned many, many years ago if I start another model before the current one is finished it will NEVER get done.  I do NOT have any unfinished models.

Maybe unfinished plans but NOT models

Formers are made up and modified for electric.

IMG_20220228_090033_HDR.thumb.jpg.afbb5deda605a55118d53038297ae49e.jpg

Including the grabber plate ready to be fitted to the wing. The grabber plate is made up of 1/16" and 1/8" ply laminated together. In the centre of F4 is the supplied BALSA plate, 3/16" ply on the plan, so made the ply plate. One concern I have is how little connection there is between the plate and F4, personally I think this former should have been 1/8" ply. Apart from that everything is ready for the fuselage assembly. ? I could add gussets in the top corners of F4, add 1/16" ply doubler or throw it away and make a new ply F4 ???

Start the fuselage leaving F4 until last just for a bit of thinking time. ?

Steve