Mini Super Belair Kits

EarlyBird

5 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

Based on this thread for building the Mini Super I can foresee the build thread for you Destiny running the several hundred pages?

Did you know something? Destiny arrived today ? but it will have to wait it's turn along with a couple from my list, Peggy Sue 2 and Basic 3D.

All plans with cut parts as this gives me an easy start to any build. 

I am under pressure to finish this now.

I am thinking Basic 3D next and I am determined not to look at the list again, the prices are too tempting.

Steve

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Nick Cripps said:

That building jig is really good, it shows when things aren't square ?

Yes it's a pity I didn't notice the servo plate before the glue dried, now if I was a perfectionist I would cut it out and try again. ?

My new mantra is 'perfection gets in the way of progress' BTW. Apart from that as it's on the inside I will only take the wings off when no one is looking.

I have found the jig very helpful as it shows when things are square, tailplane square to fuselage for example. I should have bought one when I started building two years ago.

As I have said before this build is practice for the next one so realistically  I don't expect perfection just as long as it flies I will be encouraged to build another practice model.

I made another mistake yesterday, I opened up the plan for Basic 3D and started thinking about it. Realising the trap I was falling into I rolled it up and put it into storage with-

Destiny

Peggy Sue 2

Ohmen

T31M

Mighty Barnstormer

undoubtedly some more on my to do list.

until I have finished, this, Rhapsody and x-RES. 

Lots of fun to come.

Steve

34 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

My new mantra is 'perfection gets in the way of progress'

That's a good philosophy to follow. Unfortunately I strive for perfection but rarely achieve it and end up with neither!

I use a Dave Smith Models fuselage jig which consists of MDF brackets bolted to a piece of white contiboard. I have marked a centreline and a perpendicular line at one end but still sometimes struggle to get my fuselages correctly aligned. The square grid on the SLEC jig looks like it would be a big help so I will pick one up at a show this year.

The "to do" list is coming along nicely, Steve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

I use a pair of mark two calibrated eyeballs. and the ocasional use of set squares and rulers.

They work remarkably well.

I can think of at least one full size RAF aircraft that, from personal experience did use jigs in the construction

That should read DID NOT use jigs in the construction

more on the cowl with a test fit of the motor.

IMG_20220316_093011.thumb.jpg.b05c0071c29a022533247b6484f29373.jpg

The top has been cobbled together made out of 1/2" soft balsa.

IMG_20220316_093036.thumb.jpg.fa2e37dc6ddf705e946faaa853baaf3b.jpg

just checking the battery, 2200 3S.

IMG_20220316_095731.thumb.jpg.be7f33869d84340ecad8d1719264ddb2.jpg

Perfect ? well near enough. My thinking is that as the top of the cowl will probably never be removed I will fix it in place with the covering film and in the unlikely event that it needs removing I will cut it off and re-fix it with tape.

Next the battery hatch, unless I fancy a bit of sanding. ?

Then the same with the fin and rudder.

Here all dry fit.

IMG_20220330_153535_HDR.thumb.jpg.7f07c2634a3535a319689b03552231c5.jpg

It all plugged together nicely.

Next it's time to liberate the ailerons from the wings and it's time to start thinking about a colour scheme. ?

The building board is empty, what to do about that. More thinking to do.

Steve

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peter Miller said:

On my plan the  Strip for mounting the fin was shown as only 1/2" wide. Not strong enough and not wide enough in my opinion.  Mie is about 3/4" wide now to allow for ironing film down properly

Interesting Peter as on my plan it is 3/4" wide however I have used 1/4" triangle instead of 3/16" for some strange reason. Now I will have to add 3/16" pieces to both sides for the film to be ironed onto. Working it out on the plan 3 x 3/16 makes 9/16 which would give (12/16 - 9/16)/2 each side 3/32" does not seem enough to me so I will go with adding 3/16". If I keep making changes then it will not be recognisable as a Mini Super ? I could call it an Early Bird ? maybe not.

Steve

• Like 1