Mini Super Belair Kits

EarlyBird

Tailplane for the same treatment.

Underside tacked in place.                                  Top covered, both sides shrunk and trimmed.

IMG_20220407_153441_HDR.thumb.jpg.a62197222a30cb7f64cffbad8c5b9f6a.jpg  IMG_20220407_172824_HDR.thumb.jpg.ba86bb8fa1a8ffbb30be8d0588442a2f.jpg

Shows the false ribs, nice.

Elevator tomorrow unless I go flying. ?

Steve

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nick Cripps said:

You'll have it finished for Easter Sunday at this rate...

The fuselage requires a few decisions to be made before I can make any progress which is why I covered the bottom of the wing. Next is fitting the wing servos and extending the leads. I was going to use extenders but there is the option to solder extension wires. I am thinking I should fit the servos and route the wires before I cover the top and if there is a problem I will cut and remake the joint if a servo is replaced. Now I have a choice should I go with the soldered joint or think about it for a couple of days then do the soldered joint. ??

We will see.

Steve 

Fuselage, state of.

IMG_20220424_094652_HDR.thumb.jpg.398e17a4b2dbf0203baf80679ee0adf1.jpg

Lots to do but where to start is the question.

Control rods then bottom sheeting but I need to buy a 40A ESC. Which reminds me I have decided to fit a steerable tail wheel so I don't have club mates retrieving it from the end of the field for me, I like my independence.

Steve

21 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Tail skid should be fine with steering just by rudder (large movement + throttle). My Peggy Sue 2 (PS2) ground handles, on grass, just fine with the wire skid.

The other thing that might help is, land closer!

Thanks Ron.

Ground handling has been a problem with my Swizzle Stick (SS) in a plus 10 mph wind it will not turn so I decided to always fit a steerable tailwheel just to make sure but as you say with the modified enlarged rudder, the same as your PS2, there will be no problem. Landing closer is being worked on with the SS and I have now got to bounce free landings but anywhere on the field. I need more stick time, that's been in short supply over the last two years. Started four years ago which means that I have been flying for a little over two years, if I only include the few recent flights. Plenty of building going on though.

Decision made a tail skid it is.?

Steve

It’s also good to practice your ground handling skills in all sorts of wind conditions as it not only helps with taxiing, learning how much throttle / rudder / elevator is needed for each of your models but it will be of a great benefit when taking off, especially in cross winds.

Not teaching you how to suck eggs!

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

Not teaching you how to suck eggs!

Maybe ?

It has been pointed out to me that my desire to take off and land up the strip cross wind is making life harder for myself. It's not hard but takes practice to get it right. I find the insistence of others to take off and land into wind, which requires walking out onto the far side of the strip to place the model and walk back to the flight line to take off; even worse take off standing behind the model and then walk back, very inconvenient when others are in the air with time to land timers going off. 

Not that what others do bothers me I just find cross winds more fun and I like a challenge.

Back to the build at the moment I am working on the control runs.

Steve

• Like 2

Flew The Ohmen which taxied without issue it has a tail skid and similar sized rudder to this Mini Super. Confirmation that this setup will be fine.

Control runs done.

IMG_20220429_075704_HDR.thumb.jpg.832aa979ff085552a3d75d66f9d7ed46.jpg

I have used thin metal rods from a scraped foamy when testing them they bowed easily so added two intermediate supports.

A cheap ESC has arrived which needs 3.5 mm bullets and XT60 fitting before installing. Once installed then bottom sheeting will follow.

Steve

On 09/04/2022 at 09:17, Outrunner said:

Looking good EB, very appropriate colour scheme too ?

I have only just worked this out, I know I am a bit slow. Yellow and blue were used because they were in my off cut box, no other reason for me to use any particular colour. I will say no more. ?

Steve