Drone and model aircraft safety information survey.

Wingman

Am I the only person to have been sent this email??? I thought the forum would be buzzing about it by now?, or has everybody just ignored it? . I have completed the survey (survey monkey!!) but it seemed to me that some of the questions were actually checks on the answers I had given to previous questions but, then, I'm highly suspicious, not to mention extremely sceptical, about any kind of government questionaire.  

image.png.34c2a3762a1f35a74395c2edb1385178.png

Its nothing to worry about. I suspect they have finally realised that reporting methods (if you aren't doing it via the BMFA members reporting portal) are ridiculous and barely relevant for unmanned aircraft.

It is one of the issues the BMFA have had with reporting requirements and why we got agreement that members can use our reporting portal which makes the process simple and intuitive and most importantly relevant.

Incident reporting is a good thing and absolutely nothing for responsible flyers to worry about.

Everyone who has registered with the CAA should have received the email.

I would recommend everyone engages with the survey. If nothing else it shows model aircraft flyers are responsible and take safety matters seriously.

• Like 5

I have always registered via the BMFA but I got the CAA email about the survey. 

I do have a Flyer ID though so perhaps that explains it. 

Just completed the survey as best I could, but it does seem to be mainly aimed at commercial RPAS operators. 

Dick

5 hours ago, Simon Chaddock said:

A bit worrying how big a percentage of those are the result of a loss of control from suspected ESC failure.

I suspect it's a convenient excuse for failure of the non-electronic speed controller - ie the pilot.

to be fair, failure of an ESC/motor/prop causing one corner of your drone to lose lift is pretty catastrophic - somewhat akin to one wing of a plane falling off !

Edited by andyh

7 hours ago, andyh said:

I suspect it's a convenient excuse for failure of the non-electronic speed controller - ie the pilot.

to be fair, failure of an ESC/motor/prop causing one corner of your drone to lose lift is pretty catastrophic - somewhat akin to one wing of a plane falling off !

True for a quad, but commercial users carrying large payloads should be using an octo or hex setup which is capable of landing under control even with a motor out. If they aren’t and it comes down due to an ESC or motor failure then that in itself is a failure of the pilot to choose the right tool for the job.

Even so, I do agree with you about this being a bit of a smokescreen… I strongly suspect the majority of “ESC” failures are actually pilot errors of one sort or another, or a failure to understand and use the many automated systems likely to be installed on the average commercial UAV. 

Edited by MattyB