Howard Metcalfe Crossfire.

1 hour ago, Capt Kremen said:

Yes, Super model and with modern electrics, LiPo etc. will be even better.

Does it have a plan? (Can't recall, it was some years ago!). If so PM me to arrange a copy if I may.

Designer/Manufacturer, Howard Metcalfe, is still active, though I understand it's free-flight these days.

I will have a look in my old plans.if I remember you had a self adhesive sheet that you stuck to the balsa to cut round.

15 hours ago, Andrew Calcutt said:

Anyone remember the crossfire?Found my old one in the loft,it is fitted with a speed 600,think I will refurbish it and fit a brushless motor.It was a good smooth flyer with a lighter battery should be good.

They did fly well, but with a modern brushless power train and lipo power you may find that nose needs to be lengthened slightly or the RC layout rejigged to achieve the right CG. Did it have servos in the tail originally?

I'm on my second Crossfire. Stupidly sold my first then came across a secondhand Crossfire wing for sale at Old Warden, so I bought the wing for £5 and built a new fuselage from the plan that I still had. 4 servo wing 35xx brushless motor, 13x8 folding prop, 3s 2200 lipo that is inserted via a hatch under the nose. Great flyer, goes like a rat up a drainpipe and floats like a glider. My all weather fighter, very light too.

A couple of years ago I bought the updated plan from a guy called Peter Sanders who's contact details were in RCM&E, I will build it when I break my current Crossfire.

IMG_20180422_094214457_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by Outrunner
Added photo
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys, Somewhat late, but I've only just found this topic.  I'm the Pete Ross that bought the rights to manufacture and sell the Crossfire kit back in 2002.  I sold well over 300 kits, and only had 2 rejects - one who thought the kit was ARTF, and one other who didn't build the wing as per instructions, found it flew like a dog, complained, and when I suggested he rebuild the wing correctly, he came back and told me it was the best flying machine ever!  I stopped selling Crossfire when I was spending more on advertising than I was making in sales!  Recently, I thought I would resurrect the kit, having bought a laser cutter and so could cut ribs and formers etc.  Plans were going well in transferring the drawings to CAD, when disaster struck.  My workshop caught fire and was totally destroyed, with all my 17 models, plans, drawings etc.  I am hoping to start again, but I need a copy of the build plan, so until I can find one, it's all on hold.  

The only modification that I made to Howard's brilliant design, was to change the 1/4 x 1/8 balsa wing spars for 1/4 x 1/8 spruce, as we were using brushless motors and LiPos rather than the 510 buggy motor and 6 Nicad cells that it was designed for!  

I'll keep you posted on any progress that I make, if you're interested.

Cheers  Pete

• Like 7

Pete I’m sorry to hear of your awful fire scuppering your plans for a new X- fire kit. Did you read Outrunners post above saying that he had an old plan, perhaps you could PM him to see if you could obtain a scanned copy. Failing that maybe you could ‘reverse engineer’ one if you got hold of an old x-fire airframe. After all it’s been done with full sized aircraft!

I rather fancy a X-Fire kit myself.

I am in the process of trying to locate the necessary info etc, but it may take a while.  The other consideration I have to bear in mind is the current cost of balsa . it is now about 2 - 3 times more expensive, so whereas I was selling a kit for £60, would folk be prepared to pay £120 -150 these days? 

Well, Pete, everything else has gone skywards in price just so we can go skywards literally with our models.  I build most of my models but about 4 years ago I bought an ARTF balsa Wot4 from Kings Lynn Models and it was £109.  The same model at Model Shop Leeds is £179.99.  I've just bought the drawings and CNC cut parts for Peter Miller's Fokker DVIII which cost £146 inc postage so you're not far out.  After all, I guess the £60 kits were being sold some years ago.

18 hours ago, Rosso said:

Hi Guys, Somewhat late, but I've only just found this topic.  I'm the Pete Ross that bought the rights to manufacture and sell the Crossfire kit back in 2002.  I sold well over 300 kits, and only had 2 rejects - one who thought the kit was ARTF, and one other who didn't build the wing as per instructions, found it flew like a dog, complained, and when I suggested he rebuild the wing correctly, he came back and told me it was the best flying machine ever!  I stopped selling Crossfire when I was spending more on advertising than I was making in sales!  Recently, I thought I would resurrect the kit, having bought a laser cutter and so could cut ribs and formers etc.  Plans were going well in transferring the drawings to CAD, when disaster struck.  My workshop caught fire and was totally destroyed, with all my 17 models, plans, drawings etc.  I am hoping to start again, but I need a copy of the build plan, so until I can find one, it's all on hold.  

The only modification that I made to Howard's brilliant design, was to change the 1/4 x 1/8 balsa wing spars for 1/4 x 1/8 spruce, as we were using brushless motors and LiPos rather than the 510 buggy motor and 6 Nicad cells that it was designed for!  

I'll keep you posted on any progress that I make, if you're interested.

Cheers  Pete

Sorry to read about your workshop going up in smoke, sounds like an awful disaster.

I still love flying my Crossfire shown a few posts above, it's my go-to all weather model, very light and flies on a cheap 3s 2200mAh lipo.

If you are interested I can see if my local copyshop can copy the plan. Also I have all the rib profiles and formers that I obtained in 2019 as insurance for when I break my current Crossfire.

Have you considered producing a short kit with ribs and shaped parts etc? 

Phil 

Hi Phil, Your suggestion is most welcome.  If you can get the plan copies as well as the rib profiles etc, I will be happy to cover any expenses that you incur.  I was thinking that maybe a laser cut or CNC short kit may be the way to go, as I have got both a laser engraver/cutter and a CNC machine to keep my grey cells alive!  Cheers for now.  Pete

I never had a Crossfire but I did have Howard Metcalfe's excellent Moonraker which had a moulded plastic (Plura?) fuselage that was difficult for glueing IIRC.  Sadly, I dumb-thumbed it and it was no more.  I'd certainly be a potential customer for a Crossfire.

• 5 months later...