Foamboard Mosquito

Jonathan S

All, I am super excited after spending a couple of days researching and planning how I might create a foamboard Mosquito I see Flite Test have just released one.  

I might start looking into a foamboard Bolton Paul Defiant just in case. ?

Edited by Jonathan S

• Jonathan S changed the title to Foamboard Mosquito

Following this thread and similar with interest.

I keep asking supermarkets for Thier redundant card foam card large signs, but they say ( I bet they don't recycle them ) they recycle them, so no, I can't have any !

A brief description of the foam board would be good, as well as where you get it from please.

Thanks

Also if you google "Flite Test Foam board"   there are a number of well known UK model shops that sell it such as Wheel Spin, Elite and Sussex Model shop to mention the first 3 that showed up. 

Eric or someone else who has used it might be able to comment on the difference between FT and generic brands. I have yet to do any building with Foamboard.

I can help with that!

Flight Test's MakerBoard has a different paper cladding. It is very easy to remove, which is great for some applications. It is slightly waxy though and although I haven't tried it, I suspect may not be ideal for taking paint directly. I got mine from Sussex Model Centre.

Hobbycraft (and others) has a paper cladding that is very firmly fixed. It can be removed with gentle heat from your covering iron, and takes paint well.

What to use? Both have benefits and drawbacks. My Ki45 is entirely from MakerBoard, and most of it is completely stripped of the cladding. This was because I had decided at the outset to cover the model on PVA/ Brown paper. The cladding comes off very easily, so any exposed edges WILL lift quite soon. The prevented me from glueing to it in any stress areas. Not the same with Hobbycraft that is very secure. For creating an airfoil, it is much easier with the cladding removed from the inner face, so that's quicker with MakerBoard, but you'll need to cap the edges if you leave the outer cladding in place.

I'm going to make an ultra-quick build sports model and will use Hobbycraft board for that because I will paint directly. For the Brown paper covered 'birds, I'll use makerboard. For formers and internal parts, probably hobbycraft as the paper makes them stiffer for a small weight penalty.

Of note; these foams do have a grain. Eric found his cracked if you try to curl them along this (rather invisible) grain. I didn't have that issue, but it's certainly easier across the grain.

In any case, it's so cheap (around £4 for a sheet for either), best thing to do is have a go.

Graham

• Like 1

There was a YouTube channel, Expiremental Airlines  or similar which showed a number of useful tips and plans for foamboard. The Hobbycraft stuff certainly has the paper attached well. Makerboard is good and vector board comes in varying thickness and as such readily bendable making it ideal for oval and circular styling. I have even used it to skin a delta wing over foam board matrix.

Hobbycraft are selling A1 size 5mm thick foamboard at £10 for four sheets at the moment, (or £4 per sheet).

In Derby shop it is good quality, no damaged edges, paper well attached but can be removed with care (bit slow to do though)

I've got some for experimenting in a couple of weeks. 

Don't buy it all though, I might need some more soon.....  ?

Graham has covered it ( no pun intended) but a big difference in the maker foam is that it is more flexible than foam board. A good website to look at  google  Julius Perdana models. He is a genius with depron and has made some fantastic models, he makes everything including retracts, check out his Phantom.

Back to the Mosquito I have not been able to work on it today much but have managed to clad the fuselage as far as I want to go. the next stage is the wing which will fit into the top and be detachable as a 6FT span model will not fit my car built up. I will finish the front of the fuselage when the wing is in place.

I took some photo's during construction of the fuselage and e mailed them to myself then wiped them off the phone not realising I'd wiped them off the computer.

The fuselage is glued with Uhu Por and hot glue, I find for long lengths of glue Uhu is better as it has a longer drying time but don't wait too long as if you don't get it right it grabs on contact. 

DSC_1135[2947].JPG

• Like 2

As Graham Davies said on his thread just measure up and draw on the foam board. I go on with the build and sort out the problems as I go.

I have one wing assembled and this  one needing the top sheet fitted . I did start on a depron 63" span Mosquito before my late wife took ill and I had to give up flying, when I went back to it 4 yrs later I could not get the depron to finish it. I had bought some parts from Sarik  which were for the Robin Fowler Mossie and this is the front gazing, slightly undersize but it will blend in. The cowls were too small so I have something else in mind for them. 

I should have made the 63" one as I had parts for it but wanted to see how the bigger model would build and fly.

Slippers included Ron.

DSC_1138[2959].JPG

DSC_1139[2966].JPG

• Like 2