Foamboard Mosquito

Jonathan S

Eric,

you have the skill to  "Do It Yourself" this is defiantly the cheaper and will produce the exact size and shape you want.   

I think I need to build a Flite Test one first to see how it works then see if I can replicate their methods to build something else.  

A bit like Richards planes are a nice way to build your first balsa model. 

For the money I did get a lot of kit, including:

• Plane all laser cut,
  • 3 servos,
  • 2 ESC,
  • 4  props, 
  • 2 motors,
  • 2 spinners,
  • 1 Y lead,
  • Battery and servo extension leads 

but it would be worth buying in the UK, but as you say its hard to get them in the UK and most places are out of stock. 

Edited by Jonathan S

Eric

Your Mosquito does indeed look the part.

I am pretty certain the full size mosquito wing was in effect one piece structure that was bolted onto the underside of the fuselage cut out.

Mosquito.jpg.2fc1c9b98aed28a1f2467e25bf80eccf.jpg

With the weight of the engines and fuel in the wing and the bombs in the fuselage actually attached to the underside of the wing structure meant the fuselage/wing attachment carried little of the normal flight loads.

Good principles for foam board construction?

Just saying.

Thanks for the kind comments,

Simon I built the Brian Taylor &1" span Mosquito a long time ago and it follows the construction of the full size. This one is based on the Areotech model for which I have the kit, it also is 71" span, with foam veneered wings tail feathers and most of the fuselage with a target weight of 9 lb for two 40 2strokes. I wanted to go electric and so the wing mount is on the top so when I get to the strip I can assemble the wing and fuselage then the top hatch including the cockpit canopy will provide battery access. also the one piece keel which is trebled should be stronger.

I do like the Hawker models you have made and wondered why plank the fuselage on a Hunter when a rolled tube would be easy with the tapered ends planked.

When I laid the floor in my current house I used a foam undelay which I believe is XPS I thought it too soft for modelling but it seems very similar to maker foam, it had a smooth surface and I found a piece of offcut which formed much easier than foam board. I tried to get some but Wickes and B&Q don't stock it now . the current XPS is ribbed and brittle. Do you know if it is still available?                                                                                        

Graham & Jon. the nose is a clear moulding from Sarik of a 63" SPAN Mosquito that I have squeezed the nose down to make it fit. The picture also shows the wing mount solution there is a ply plate with brackets and tee nuts in the lower fuselage. 

DSC_1146[2976].JPG

• Like 1

After finding the missing mojo I have returned to the Mossie, the tail end was an awkward shape to make with maker foam and I had considered foam blocks but the elevator and rudder mechanism and servo's were in the rear cone. so I persevered with the maker foam stripping the paper off both sides and forming it in 4 segments.

I am happy with the result . Now for the nacelles. The tail wheel assembly is off a redundant foamie.

DSC_1151[3005].JPG

DSC_1152[3006].JPG

DSC_1154[3007].JPG

Edited by Eric Robson
added some text.
  • Like 2

Eric

The board I use is XPS 5 mm thick. One surface smooth and shiny the other is gently ribbed. Both Toolstation and Screwfix stock it called Vitrex, £23 for 19 sheets 850x600mm. It is relatively brittle but that does means it is that much stiffer so better at resisting torsional loads, an important aspect on my all foam unreinforced wing structures. ?

The reason I prefer full length fuselage planking is it puts all the glue joints along the line of the tension forces whereas rolled tube sections put the glue joints across the tension, which is its weakest direction.

Yes its tedious to do but it does also give a true smooth two dimensional curve. The Hunter fuselage may look a constant section over much of its length bit but in fact it is only so over the length of the wing root. ?

At 9 lbs you will be operating well above anything I would be happy with. At such a wing loading you will be relying pretty heavily on the veneering for the wing's torsional rigidity.

Is that a printed tail wheel assembly? 

Edited by Simon Chaddock

Simon 

The XPS in Wickes was probably the same as the others. there was a piece lying on top of an open pack it looked as if it had been compressed so that may have been the reason it was so brittle, I did not fancy buying a full pack if it would not do the job.

The tail wheel is a plastic moulding off an FMS Hawker Typhoon.

I am not building the Aerotech kit, I used the plan and the former patterns for the fuselage, the wings were measured and drawn direct onto the foam board as was the tail plane. The target weight is 5lb max.   

I built this Seafury with a balsa frame and rolled 1/8" black depron around the foam board formers, it has had many flights now and is not showing any signs of stress, the whole plane is covered with brown paper and painted with acrylic paint. At 57" span it weighs just over 3lb  ready to fly.

DSC_0764[1206].JPG

• Like 2

Jonathan,

You asked how I designed my foam models CAD! cardboard and determination.

The nacelles are going to be ABS, the one on the model is from a Warbirds replicas Spitfire which I managed to damage and a replacement was obtained from Richard.

I have ordered two from Richard but in the meantime I am setting up with the old one, not quite as sleek as the Mossie  but a quick way to get the job done.

I am making up the top as it is totally different to the Spitfire and having decided to use 2 batteries the top will be access hatches. The top hatch needs some work as it is maker foam over 3 formers and when covered with brown paper the PVA dried out and shrunk it slightly and tried to flatten out

_20220226_104506[3015].JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Martin,

The front end is from a Robin Fowler Mosquito parts available from Sarik.  On my Feb17th post of the wing section and ply joiner you will see the front clear moulding on the table, the canopy is from the CAP Mosquito also available from Sarik these 2 items are slightly under size but as it is not a super scale model it looks ok from 6ft.

I have the Aerotech Mosquito kit and used that as a basis for the foam model. I could have used the mouldings from the kit but decided to keep it intact. The fuselage profile was drawn onto the foam board then the formers were reduced on my printer to adjust for the maker foam cladding which is 5mm thick , I will not do the same for the B25 as keeping it straight was difficult when cladding the second side.

What span is the Aerotech B25 ?  I have the Royal / Marutaka plan it is 72" I also have the cowls and canopies for it, I have been looking through some plans today thinking of making a single engine plane in foamboard but I think it will be the B25 next. It will be a slower build as the flying season is approaching.

Cheers Eric.

37 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

Maiden flight today, very successful 4.5 min. flight 50% left in the batteries 2nd flight 5.5min 30% left . Left aileron trim and up elevator trim needed.  More batteries on order.

Landings were very easy.  

Great news Eric, well played.

Not got the Ki-45 airborne yet. Little problems keep popping up. First an ESC turned out to be faulty, then an aileron servo failed and finally I noticed a 1000rpm difference between left and right motors. Once I have new ESCs, I'll hopefully give it a go. Not too hopeful on matching your flight times with my titchy 2200 3S packs though!

Graham

• Thanks 1

Well done Eric . You really knock them out dont you ? 

Interesting comparison with similar sized wooden Mossies in terms of weight !

Although , to be fair , the adding of undercarriage and supporting structure would add a bit . 

Even so . at 6lb to start with an extra pound wouldnt change its forgiving nature . 

• Thanks 1