TX16S micro SD card

John Wagg

I am considering changing my TX16S from OpenTX over to Edge .TX .

I want to keep the original micro SD card and buy another to play with.

The SD card that comes with the TX16S, if I have read it properly, is a 256 MB but all the cards on the internet are Gigabytes.

Am I reading this right and would a 32GB card be alright to use. ?

Cheers

John

32gb card will be fine, you will just have lots of empty space. I've used 16 and 32gb cards with no problems.

The general consensus is not to use the original card supplied with the set as they are deemed to be unreliable.

Well worth switching to edge tx too as it makes programming and the radio much easier and if you don't like it you can go back to open tx.

• Like 1

Just this weekend, I also migrated to Edge and am unlikely to go back.

I also kept the OpenTx version sdcard - just in case. Only things I don't like so far are:

• Selecting a model seems to take longer than on OpenTx - I think I need to check my image sizes.
  • I don't like the default theme so will have to find/make another.

Just to add that I had looked at other videos and they seemed to be a bit complicated.

They generally mention bootloaders, download this or that firmware, move over a couple of files or you will not have the models, etc.

They also tend to use a USB lead connected between the TX and PC which is not required in the above.

As long as you are able to fit the micro-SD card in your PC/Laptop then fairly straight forward.

The only hiccup i came across is the "EdgeTx Flasher" screen has changed but it was easy to find what's needed.

In the video you just need to basically put 2 files onto your SD card and then follow the instructions.  ?

Grumpy Gnome - I must say I prefer the model selection screen on my old Taranis as it's just a list compared with the "boxes" on the TX16S.

I don't need images just the name of the model but I do like the touch screen which is a good trade off.

I've a bit to learn on how to navigate the various screens and menus but it will exercise my old brain for a bit. ?

Edited by John Wagg
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Outrunner said:

John, it sounds like you had a smooth ride migrating to Edge TX. I assume that you are on Edge TX 2.6.0?

I'm still on ver 2.5.0 so I need to get my finger out and update to the latest version.

Yes it is on Edge Tx 2.6.0.

I don't know about about a smooth ride but it did work out in the end. 

There always that nagging thought "am I going to regret this". ?

GG, "GITHUB" ? that's another program cropping up that I have seen mentioned. Will have to peruse that sometime when my little grey cells have had time to recover. LoL. 

Currently looking at this to update some of my D8 receivers :-

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3391195-FrSky-D16-firmware-for-D8-receivers&perpage=20

and that's really testing me .

10 minutes ago, Mike Blandford said:

What do you need help with for updating your D8 receivers?

If I can improve the instructions I will do so.

Mike

Hi Mike.

Read through your excellent work on RCGroups and will converse there if that's O.K.

It's just a case of picking out the bits I need to convert my D8's. I got your massage and ordered the cable I need.

Very grateful and thanks.

John 

10 hours ago, John Wagg said:

GG, "GITHUB" ? that's another program cropping up that I have seen mentioned. Will have to peruse that sometime when my little grey cells have had time to recover. LoL. 

Github is just a repository for OpenTX and EdgeTX software, firmware, and instructions.  Nightly builds, latest versions etc. can be found there. A sort of 'one stop shop' that'll save trawling t'internet.

• Like 1

Just another thought.

My usual Tx is a Taranis Qx7. (OpenTx) This has all my models on it.

Was wondering, as the conversion to Edge still used the original firmware SD card, could I copy the "models" folder" from the Taranis to the "models" folder in EdgeTx. ?

The "models folder" on the TX16S has been kept when converting to Edge.

Does this make sense ?

John.