Hobby king customer service

Rich Griff

Acetone is very nasty stuff but has its uses, CAREFULLY.

As does cellulose thinners which can be just as nasty.

CTC is first world war weapons grade stuff. Best not talk about that stuff else front doors are gunna be kicked in at 3am tomorrow morning, eh !

Edited by Rich Griff

CTC (Carbon tetrachloride, I assume?) was used a lot back in the early 50s at the radio/TV factory where I worked as a teenager.  I think primarily for cleaning components.  My father got me a Winchester bottle-full (2 litres?) just after we got married in 1967 and I dropped it on my garage floor when it was almost full.  It was gone, evaporated in minutes - the door was open.

I had a 5 litre can of acetone a few years back for diluting epoxy.  A friend acquired it for me from a guy who ran a business making kayaks.

Lots of things that were readily available are difficult to get now.  I used to play with mercury as a child and the Chemistry labs at school were surrounded by shelves of bottles with all sorts of stuff there for the taking, including sulphuric and hydrochloric acid (probably N/10) and all the benches had a gas supply for Bunsen burners.  Not a pair of goggles in sight!

We lived dangerously.  How I've survived to 82, I'll never know ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Don Fry said:

Early bird, if you wish to eat Sunday dinner, or even live that long, I would not recommend confusing acetone, nail varnish remover, (Acetone, oils, bits), and cellulose thinners (a devil's brew), to beloved. 

As it happens I have non of the above. All I know is that cellulose thinners removes the white glue line on covering film, well that's what I have seen on YT but never used it myself. 

Steve

I ordered some spare parts for a Durafly model in October, in the UK Warehouse sale. Then came the debacle of the warehouse closing, the excuse that it was due to Covid and months of frustration with HK customer services. That was eventually resolved to my satisfaction in January, by a personal intervention in HK, with the order cancelled and a store credit. I used the store credit to order some other bits from the EU warehouse on 1st Feb - that still hasn't arrived, the tracking number doesn't work and now I see in this thread that shipments from the EU warehouse are suspended.

4 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

I ordered some spare parts for a Durafly model in October, in the UK Warehouse sale. Then came the debacle of the warehouse closing, the excuse that it was due to Covid and months of frustration with HK customer services. That was eventually resolved to my satisfaction in January, by a personal intervention in HK, with the order cancelled and a store credit. I used the store credit to order some other bits from the EU warehouse on 1st Feb - that still hasn't arrived, the tracking number doesn't work and now I see in this thread that shipments from the EU warehouse are suspended.

I tried to order yellow film covering. HK says no shopping from this warehouse etc. Got on tech chat with their agent, and he said I should use a different search engine like Google chrome, and it's my Ipads fault. ???

IMO the HK film is vastly superior to Solarfilm and easily on a par with Profilm - it's been pretty difficult to get hold of due to being out of stock and the closure of the UK warehouse by HK seems to be making it even more difficult. Not seeing how your iPad could be an issue TBH and hope that you get your film ok.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

IMO the HK film is vastly superior to Solarfilm and easily on a par with Profilm - it's been pretty difficult to get hold of due to being out of stock and the closure of the UK warehouse by HK seems to be making it even more difficult. Not seeing how your iPad could be an issue TBH and hope that you get your film ok.

I will be honest here and will probably get slammed by some (or many), but I wouldn't wrap my sandwiches in Solarfim. Never mind a model.........

• Like 1

I think I will get some more solar film, don't want to run out half way through covering a model, which sods law says will happen.

When I "go electric" I will be going down the brown paper and laminating film route, after some tests.

Thanks for all the replies/suggestions etc., much appreciated.

Edited by Rich Griff

8 minutes ago, Maurice Dyer said:

I will be honest here and will probably get slammed by some (or many), but I wouldn't wrap my sandwiches in Solarfim. Never mind a model.........

Use the HK fillum and you'd be okay with wrapping a toastie, whilst the Solarfilm would likely have a big 'ole in it. ?

41 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Use the HK fillum and you'd be okay with wrapping a toastie, whilst the Solarfilm would likely have a big 'ole in it. ?

OK.I am just about to order two rolls from HK Global, it didn't like me ordering from EU. Cheapest shipping works out at £53 in total for two 5 metre rolls. Is this reasonable or /. Works out at £10 per metre which is cheaper than Pro film, just. ?

Maury

28 minutes ago, Maurice Dyer said:

OK.I am just about to order two rolls from HK Global, it didn't like me ordering from EU. Cheapest shipping works out at £53 in total for two 5 metre rolls. Is this reasonable or /. Works out at £10 per metre which is cheaper than Pro film, just. ?

Maury

Does that include VAT and handling fee?

You can buy Hobbyking film direct from Hong Cong. £11 a roll,three rolls cost £30 odd for carriage depending on carrier chosen, delivery 3 to 10 days.

You can also buy Hobby King film from Rapid R/C at £4 per meter and that is in the UK. They also do Turnigy motors among a host of other makes.

Those are just the items I checked but it looks good to me.

6 minutes ago, Peter Miller said:

You can buy Hobbyking film direct from Hong Cong. £11 a roll,three rolls cost £30 odd for carriage depending on carrier chosen, delivery 3 to 10 days.

You can also buy Hobby King film from Rapid R/C at £4 per meter and that is in the UK. They also do Turnigy motors among a host of other makes.

Those are just the items I checked but it looks good to me.

Peter, I was on the HK Hong Kong website, which is the only one that ships to UK at the moment. Cheapest carriage was £23, total £53 for two rolls.

9 minutes ago, Maurice Dyer said:

Peter, I was on the HK Hong Kong website, which is the only one that ships to UK at the moment. Cheapest carriage was £23, total £53 for two rolls.

It  was about an hour ago. I took my order right to the last stage ready to click pay now and those figures that I gave were correct for my "order" of three rolls.

16 minutes ago, Peter Miller said:

It  was about an hour ago. I took my order right to the last stage ready to click pay now and those figures that I gave were correct for my "order" of three rolls.

VAT to be added and handling fee. These are charged by the courier. It becomes expensive especially as they charge VAT on the delivery charge. I am guessing £6/m.