Op I D info display

Rich Griff

On 12/02/2022 at 11:51, Allan Bennett said:

I'm not sure I'd use Dymo tape, especially as you're likely to have a different number each year.

On 12/02/2022 at 12:44, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

You arent likely to have a new number every year. Once you have the new format GBR-OP- number (all current ones are this format) it is highly unlikley to change.

DYMO labels are perfect for the job.

On 12/02/2022 at 15:58, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

As a member of EASA it was necessary for the CAA to comply with international standardisation. That’s why our numbers start with GBR. The previous change was because the CAA format didn’t comply but there’s no foreseeable reason for it to change again. 

Hmmm... This exchange triggered a memory in the recesses of my brain(!), and a quick search confirmed we had discused this previously, and unfortunately (as with many things regulatory) things are not terribly clear cut:

Short summary:

• The number format was ostensibly chosen to enable it to be EASA compliant and to have sufficient ID space for a checksum to be added - this would be used to validate an ID as legitimate if and when remote (RF broadcast) ID comes in.
  • However, it appears the CAA have either chosen to go their own way or made a horlicks of this, so the new format (despite being much longer) is not actually compliant with the guidance documentation from EASA.
  • As a result if Remote ID does come in it is relatively likely we will need new numbers, otherwise our registrations here in the UK will be invalid to use anywhere else. Not ideal!

Seems the Dymo machine I had in mind does emboss the characters into the tape.

No size is given on the packaging.

The packaging displays quite large characters, larger than the ," more than 3mm character hieght", BUT this is very misleading, as the actual size of the characters shown on the tape leaving the machine, is so close if not under 3mm, I deemed it unsuitable for the CAA op I'd number usage.

I will tape my paper computer printed id number under a hatch ( not battery, that's in an enclosed battery box ) needing no tools to gain access.

I will mark the hatch to say "CAA op id under hatch"...

Slopers/electric planes will have it under tape on the outside, no fuel/exhaust goooo to worry about.

The car wiring job will make do with wire colours, thicknesses and a coloured heat shrink tag/sleeve for id/matching purposes. The cars wires are numbered but I don't have a pocket electron microscope....

Edited by Rich Griff

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

Hmmm... This exchange triggered a memory in the recesses of my brain(!), and a quick search confirmed we had discused this previously, and unfortunately (as with many things regulatory) things are not terribly clear cut:

Short summary:

• The number format was ostensibly chosen to enable it to be EASA compliant and to have sufficient ID space for a checksum to be added - this would be used to validate an ID as legitimate if and when remote (RF broadcast) ID comes in.
  • However, it appears the CAA have either chosen to go their own way or made a horlicks of this, so the new format (despite being much longer) is not actually compliant with the guidance documentation from EASA.
  • As a result if Remote ID does come in it is relatively likely we will need new numbers, otherwise our registrations here in the UK will be invalid to use anywhere else. Not ideal!

Wasn’t that in relation to the first set of numbers issued by the CAA? As far as I’m aware, we now have compliant numbering with no reason for further changes. 

30 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Wasn’t that in relation to the first set of numbers issued by the CAA? As far as I’m aware, we now have compliant numbering with no reason for further changes. 

No, sadly not - it's there in the thread, this is regarding the longer form 19-digit format that was introduced the year after OP-IDs were intially introduced (renewal year 2020/21). They have not changed since then and are unlikely to do so for the next few years, but could were remote ID to come in. You even commented as to your frustration on page 3 of the thread...

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

On 12/02/2022 at 13:27, Zflyer said:

I have a Brother printing machine for which you can buy assorted tapes and also ink colours. It's very good. 8n addition I understand that this year OP Numbers will be yours for the duration. 

Why they couldn't have used BMFA membership numbers I don't know.

Because it's not a BMFA mandate, it's a legal requirement from the CAA contained in the ANO which the BMFA answer to. Also, there is a lot of commercial, academic and experimental UAV flying by OA holders outside of model planes who have no association or need to join the BMFA. 

• Like 1

Out of morbid interest, who on this forum has actually had their models checked for Op numbers and had to show their flyer ID?

I suspect it's the sort of thing the more officious club committee insists on (checks in the pits before flying were regular features of a club I walked out of), but has anybody actually had to do this at the behest of someone with real world authority?

1 hour ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

Out of morbid interest, who on this forum has actually had their models checked for Op numbers and had to show their flyer ID?

I suspect it's the sort of thing the more officious club committee insists on (checks in the pits before flying were regular features of a club I walked out of), but has anybody actually had to do this at the behest of someone with real world authority?

1. No one

2. I suggest, move club. 

3 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Seems the Dymo machine I had in mind does emboss the characters into the tape.

No size is given on the packaging.

The packaging displays quite large characters, larger than the ," more than 3mm character hieght", BUT this is very misleading, as the actual size of the characters shown on the tape leaving the machine, is so close if not under 3mm, I deemed it unsuitable for the CAA op I'd number usage.

I will tape my paper computer printed id number under a hatch ( not battery, that's in an enclosed battery box ) needing no tools to gain access.

I will mark the hatch to say "CAA op id under hatch"...

Slopers/electric planes will have it under tape on the outside, no fuel/exhaust goooo to worry about.

The car wiring job will make do with wire colours, thicknesses and a coloured heat shrink tag/sleeve for id/matching purposes. The cars wires are numbered but I don't have a pocket electron microscope....

I expect I'm going to regret this, given what has been posted before - but when you state that the hatch under which you plan to put your operator ID code will not be the battery hatch, because your battery is housed in an enclosed battery box, do you have a battery hatch, to access the flight battery and remove it between flights, in order to charge it?

• Haha 1

Nimh's

It's a slope soarer and uses a square battery pack.

The diesel motor glider is similar as will be more or less every plane I am making at the moment.

Either diesel or glow propulsion.

The shadow, a 40 glow engine has a flat pack similarly housed.

All nimh's powered but easily removable.

I have not made the leap to electric propulsion yet so a slight rethink needed for those, but the propulsion battery ( lipo ) will be contained well for flight and easily removable for charging/swapping for a fully charged pack.

I have two lipo propulsion packs, both the same battery pack.

I will not be charging a lipo with the battery in the model.

Once both propulsion packs are " flat" ( not have enough charge left for flight ) they will be transported home in my battery transporting fire proof hopefully explosion proof lined steel well vented box.

May be that box will be in an other box when in the car ?

A pack " going off" in the car would be extremely dangerous, so may be "on the roof".

The clever battery charger I have is capable of being powered by 12 volt battery.

I still have a bit of kit to get/make for lipos.

Edited by Rich Griff
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

Nope, I have never had a model checked by anyone in authority.  And no committees in any of the clubs I am in would even dream of checking. 

However, having witnessed the death of a boy when he was struck with a model aeroplane, I can assure you that the proper authorities took an in-depth check of everything at that time. 

It would certainly be an advantage to be able to show a responsible, helpful and compliant attitude in the event of something going horribly wrong. 

The resultant outcome of that accident is why we now have a legal duty to have a working failsafe system in our models. 

It's a bit like insurance. . Nobody enjoys buying it but if you ever need it, it's better to have "clean hands" and have all the boxes ticked. 

• Like 2

A lipo "going off" in the car ?

Sods law says if it can happen, it will.

Titanic...

Saw a video of a phone bursting into flames on a passenger seat...

So your doing 60 down the m4 and...

As to charging a lipo in the model, again sods law applies...

It's good to be reminded from time to time.

I seem to remember a comment on here of a lipo going off in a plane, in flight...the " self ejection system " failed.

Edited by Rich Griff
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Brian Cooper said:

The resultant outcome of that accident is why we now have a legal duty to have a working failsafe system in our models. 

Is that correct, from my reading it only applies to models over 7kg and models below that where a failsafe is fitted. So if you are still flying models below 7kg on 35mhz with PPM receivers then you are still legal. https://bmfa.org/Info/Why-join-the-BMFA/Failsafes

But I often test other club members models for them and as part of the pre-flight checks always test the failsafe, it's surprising how many aren't set correctly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich Griff said:

A lipo "going off" in the car ?

Sods law says if it can happen, it will.

Titanic...

Saw a video of a phone bursting into flames on a passenger seat...

So your doing 60 down the m4 and...

As to charging a lipo in the model, again sods law applies...

It's good to be reminded from time to time.

I seem to remember a comment on here of a lipo going off in a plane, in flight...the " self ejection system " failed.

"I saw a video of....", "I seem to remember...", "Sods law says..."... Is anything you are posting based on actual experience?

By your own admission you do not fly electric powered models today. Given that please can you stop posting FUD about lipos based on rumours you've read and cherry picked examples from questionable sources that "prove" lithium batteries are intrinsically dangerous even when handled appropriately. Sorry to be blunt, but the posts you make on this forum about lipos are consistently full of inaccuracies that could mislead and frighten newcomers unnecessarily. A prime example is your statement above that a pack that is is neither being charged nor discharged is liable to spontaneously "go off" during transport even at a low SOC. I can assure you from all the reading I've done and >10 years of experience with lipos this is a vanishingly unlikely occurrence (you are more likely to be involved in a car accident or struck by lightening on the way back from the field) but heck, I only have a masters in Chemistry, what would I know...

With that in mind I suggest you put a pause on your attempts "remind" and "educate" others until you have acquired sufficient knowledge through reading AND practical experience to do so.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3